Welding rear differential question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have searched to no avail for the answer to this question. I am considering welding my rear dif. I know its a bad idea, but lets ignore that as I am not going to spend $300 on a locker for a truck I paid $800 for (but do plan on spending $1000 on tires). So I have a buddy who has a big welder and is good at welding. He has welded difs in the past, and i asked what he needed for me to do for prep. He told me I had to pull tires, hubs, drums, axle shafts etc. Is there a less involved way on a 60? I know on some rigs it can be done in 10 minutes with only removing a cover and cleaning out some grease. Can that be done on an FJ60 with everything still on the truck or do I need to pull it all?

I'm trying to remember if there was a recent thread about this, but can't remember who was working on it...

Here's some threads from a quick search on 'weld rear diff':
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/question-about-welded-rear-diff.487539/
EDIT: You know, @orangefj45 might be a good guy to answer your question...see posts #9, #16 and #17 in the thread above...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-to-remove-axle-welded-spider.381344/#post-5502164
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/to-weld-or-not-to-weld.277851/#post-4324292

Last edited:
when you open the inspection cover on the rear diff (which you'll need to do anyway) you can remove the c-clips on the axle and the axles with the wheels, brakes and everything will slide out of the diff so its not really that hard to pull the axles. just get it up of some good axle stands and go for it. if you need to pull the diff you have to do this anyway.

You might even be able to weld the diff with the inspection cover off all installed but you'll want to have your buddy take a look and see if he is comfortable with that. It will definitely be easier with the third out of the truck.

Frank

I would not want welding slag swimming around in my differential. I would at least remove the 3rd so it can be properly cleaned after the job.

You don't seem too worried about the diff/vehicle..... Skinny wheel on a small grinder and cut a hole on the back of the pumpkin if it's full floater.... Weld up planetaries.... Weld cut out piece back in....... Done

I pulled the carrier on mine. Installed axle shafts, pinion block and all to ensure proper alignment of all the parts. Welded away.

The first time that third was welded by a qualified person but they were familiar with mini thirds and the cruiser is a different beast altogether. I had to assemble the thing with a hammer and brass punch because stuff was out of alignment.

I broke the welds on that one and that's why i did it my way the second time. Much better install and has held up to several years of abuse since.

Good luck! :beer:

You could do it in the Cruiser, but it would be better to pull the third out and do it. It is easier to clean and you don't run the risk of getting slag in the diff if you pull it out. The key to getting a good job is getting it to cool slowly, I usually wrap mine in some welding blankets to help slow down the cooling process. If your friend know what he is doing it is not hard at all.

He knows what he is doing, issue is he will only do the welding and I don't know what I am doing lol. Good thing you all exist and that I have an fsm

I actually warmed up the third on my old 4runner on the bbq held prior to welding and let it cool on the bbq so it would destress the heat affected zones better. It held up really well.

Frank

When I've done this to diffs in general, I heat the gears to around 400f with acetylene (IR guns are fun) which also burns off most of the gear oil.
Then I weld the bejeezus out of the spiders, and I do it with the shafts in. For the racing diffs, I actually have a set of sacrificial shafts that just
do that- they keep everything in proper alignment.
Your welder knows this, but the order of welds around the gears will reduce/ increase stress, depending on how you do it.
Then yes, cooling slowly seems to be the best way to keep 'em together best. I use a hotplate and a welding blanket,
and that seems to work.

Then go over it carefully to get ALL the spits, pops, slag and chunks off of everything.

Yes, it's a bad idea. Yes, I have at least a half- dozen welded diffs of varying ratios that I use..

Yes, only one has actually come apart on me...

fwiw
t

I had a LSD that I welded, access to planetaries sucked but seems to be holding just fine, since I have no access plate just pulled driveshafts and took third out, total work 1 hour

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom