To weld or Not to weld... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've been hearing a lot about welding up the rear diff. I know how to do it and have everything I need but my question is what do you guys think?

I've heard that it's great for light trucks but that for heavier vehicles it tends to break easily. I am confident that I can weld it and it not break the welds. I have an '84 cruiser with 31' and some add-a-leafs. I have a bone stock 2f and so I don't have a ton of power to even break the tires loose on wet pavement. This truck is my DD but I don't drive all that much because I'm in college and will be going to AK for the summer as well. I do a fair amount of wheeling and really hate my open diffs. I've driven an aussie locked truck and really didn't like it at all. It seemed fairly unpredictable with the locking/unlocking and it was really hard on the driveline too.

So what do you guys think? Weld it and worry about buying a new diff later if it doesn't work or does someone have an old locker they want to throw my way:D?

Personally, I wouldn't weld a daily driver, chirping and jerking around the corners is just not how I roll. Now if its primary use was wheeling, I'd say go for it.

Personally, I wouldn't weld a daily driver, chirping and jerking around the corners is just not how I roll. Now if its primary use was wheeling, I'd say go for it.

2X drove mine like that for a few years great off road but it eats tires

Howdy! That Lincoln locker will be a lot harder on the driveline than any other type of locker. I've run a LockRight for over 10 years, on the street, and I love it. Can't beat it for the price. It sound like the one you drove was not set up correctly. John

I would not weld....get a locker of some type or an LSD.

gonna be hard on tires, and really hard on driveline. even more so if the tire pressures arnt perfectly even.

My Dad is has been running his Genuine Locker(similar to a lock right) on the highway for 8 years with the same set of 33 BFG MUD tires and he is not wearing the tires our prematurely. $250 seems to be the average price.

x2 on not welding the rear, especially with driving it daily.

If you didn't like the Aussie locker what makes you think the lincoln locker will be any better?

If the Aussie locker was causeing problems driving down the road it was not installed correctly.

You could always put the Aussie locker in the front and have no change when driving on the road but a locker put into action when in 4 WD. I prefer my Aussie locker in the rear. I can drive over as much in 2 WD with the Aussie in the rear as I could in 4 WD with open front and rear diff's. Another Aussie locker in the front and 4 WD takes on a whole nother meaning.

Welding is okay for the rear of a light minitruck on the trail. For a wagon on the street, no... it sucks. Miserable corners on pavement and it wears tires like nobody's business.

Mark...

If you didn't like the Aussie locker what makes you think the lincoln locker will be any better?

If the Aussie locker was causeing problems driving down the road it was not installed correctly.

You could always put the Aussie locker in the front and have no change when driving on the road but a locker put into action when in 4 WD. I prefer my Aussie locker in the rear. I can drive over as much in 2 WD with the Aussie in the rear as I could in 4 WD with open front and rear diff's. Another Aussie locker in the front and 4 WD takes on a whole nother meaning.

x2 on the great traction in 2wd vs. 4wd with no locker at all.

I've heard better things about the Aussie than any other auto locker. Like everyone else has said, make sure it's installed properly.

Have fun shopping around!

In case you needed just one more vote for the Aussie, you just got it. :)
Nothing light about an 84 'Cruiser, and I see you're already aware of what that means to a welded diff.

ok so i got a off road only fj40 with 60 series diffs in it and running gear from a 60 diesel...weld the rear and aussie the front or what ? ideas

Really depends on your budget and what you want. Welding up the rear is relatively free. Buying a locker isn't. Do you want to have a full locked rear all the time? You may not need it in some places.

I'd personally do mechanical lockers F&R if I had a trail only truck. It still gives you good driving manners and you have the advantage of being locked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom