Welding on front Diff. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
I just got these two in from Ruffstuff, and Im curious are there any special precautions to take when welding onto the front differential? And is RTV better for rear or gasket?

DSCN4051.JPG

Weld an inch at a time and move to weld another area. Then wait. I just did some armor for my rear dif and drain plug area. I use an infrared thermometer to monitor the temp of the housing up to several inches from the project.

Welding one inch is a good thing. Going two inches and things heat up a lot more.
I did this with oil in the dif.

What are you going to do with that bolt on cover???

I have the same ruffstuff front armor piece. Be prepared to do some grinding on it for a decent fit that doesn’t require welding it gaps. It’s a beast of a guard.

Reactions: RFB
@RFB That cover is for a semi-float 9.5" diff. Your rear diff is full-float, no removable cover. The only one that will work is the maxi-pad with wings. Just take it slow as baldilocks mentioned.

There are a few other options if you want full-face armor for the front diff. Trail Gear, Marlin and Ballistic Fab are some that come to mind.

There is nothing for the rear.

Last edited:
@RFB That cover is for a semi-float 9.5" diff. Your rear diff is full-float, no removable cover. The only one that will work is the maxi-pad with wings. Just take it slow as baldilocks mentioned.

There are a few other options if you want full-face armor for the front diff. Trail Gear, Marlin and Ballistic Fab are some that come to mind.

There is nothing for the rear.
My GF ordered these for xmas and they came early. All I wanted was front armor. Ill have her ship back wouldnt be the first time. And Im on Marlins site right now. ty

My GF ordered these for xmas and they came early. All I wanted was front armor. Ill have her ship back wouldnt be the first time. And Im on Marlins site right now. ty

If you want something for the rear diff, take a look at the adventures I went through in this thread

9.5" diff armor, it does exist!

Reactions: RFB
That's the one I have. Think @jcardona1 has it too. All I had to do for mine was heat that thing up and hit it with a hammer a few times.

Oh nice, any idea if another could be made to fit the back ?

Damn man I really dig this RS cover too. Im gonna go the route you did 3/8 it is.

You could always swap out your full-float rear axle for a semi-float in order to use the diff cover :)

You could always swap out your full-float rear axle for a semi-float in order to use the diff cover :)
Im happy that I can bring a little laughter into your nightLOLOL

Im happy that I can bring a little laughter into your nightLOLOL
and FYI I am heading to cali again in a month or so............... you could always help me break some shiite out there.

and FYI I am heading to cali again in a month or so............... you could always help me break some shiite out there.
Where too? Beverage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom