Welcome to this edition of "What's My Color?!" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1D3E0F5C-2EFC-421E-816B-FC6CC0D74563.jpeg
Did a little grinding away last night and uncovered a few layers. Looks to me like they primered ( lighter gray) underneath the top yellowish tan. But, is it normal to see the factory red oxide primer and then a layer of (dark) gray primer before they sprayed the original color?

That is normal it’s the way all my mid 60s have been. Red then grey. You can see in this video of the assembly line in what looks to be ‘66 or ‘67

That is normal it’s the way all my mid 60s have been. Red then grey. You can see in this video of the assembly line in what looks to be ‘66 or ‘67

Wow! It's actually cool to see how they painted the trucks on the line... and what parts were pre-assembled.

Hey guys, I've posted this over on my restoration thread, but I figured since we are talking about my paint color. I went to my local PPG supplier and tried to match to one of their solid paint chips. How does this look for Volcanic Beige?
FJ40PPGpaint-VolcanicBeigeChip.jpg

I am trying to find out, as best as I can, the original color on my FJ45. I am having a hard time finding colors available before 1964. I initially thought it was Lily White but the more I am researching, I am not sure. In all my searches, I have seen this "BandAid" color referred to a few times (see post 11 above). My truck definitely has this color, as can be seen in the pictures below. Does anybody have any idea what this color is?

1623860149011.png

Now that is interesting. I can see that his pants, shirt seem to be white and the truck, comparatively, has a beighish/pinkish hue. I would greatly appreciate anything you can find.

Is there any way you could e-mail me a high resolution file of that picture. If that is, in fact, my trucks color I'd love to have it. Do you by chance know the serial number on your 45, I wonder how close ours are to each other as mine is a late 1963.

My understanding is the picture below is of the different colors that were available--that one stripe does seem to match the color. Is it "Colorado Beige"?

1623861231503.png

1623861273008.png

Ten years ago bought a one owner 1970 FJ40 with original paint. Believe the color was Coronado Beige. Different than the beige on a 73 top, 76 FJ40 and 79 FJ40 doors. The original owner of the 70 also had bumperettes removed from his 63 FJ40. Those taken off new as we're the ones from the 70. He also had another set of beige bumperettes taken off his dad's 63, plus a single beige bumperette. Have two matched sets and third yet another beige. The guy was 86 and early stages of Alzheimer's and couldn't remember where the odd third one came from. Not sure he was right on both his and his dad's both being 63s. He and his wife have both pasted away. What beige Toyota used when hasn't never seemed clear. 70 and 76 look close but are a little different.

IMG_0367.jpg

Ten years ago bought a one owner 1970 FJ40 with original paint. Believe the color was Coronado Beige. Different than the beige on a 73 top, 76 FJ40 and 79 FJ40 doors. The original owner of the 70 also had bumperettes removed from his 63 FJ40. Those taken off new as we're the ones from the 70. He also had another set of beige bumperettes taken off his dad's 63, plus a single beige bumperette. Have two matched sets and third yet another beige. The guy was 86 and early stages of Alzheimer's and couldn't remember where the odd third one came from. Not sure he was right on both his and his dad's both being 63s. He and his wife have both pasted away. What beige Toyota used when hasn't never seemed clear. 70 and 76 look close but are a little different.

View attachment 2705250
Both 40’s look great John👍 My brothers ‘3/76 was painted Red by PO but under dash and in other spots it is clear it was originally 532 Mustard Yellow and so that is what it will go back to👍

531 was a different color, more of a Tonka yellow that was just one year in 1975, glad it isn’t that color which is more similar to the FJ Cruiser Yellow.

Both 40’s look great John👍 My brothers ‘3/76 was painted Red by PO but under dash and in other spots it is clear it was originally 532 Mustard Yellow and so that is what it will go back to👍

531 was a different color, more of a Tonka yellow that was just one year in 1975, glad it isn’t that color which is more similar to the FJ Cruiser Yellow.

I love the mustard yellow myself Tom, good choice to go back. Had a friend who who bought one of the first 75 models off the boat in LA in January 75. It was freeborn Red. He saw a yellow one shortly after and regretted not waiting for a yellow one. I have always liked the yellow and may paint my 79 that color. It's currently multi color now. The doors on it are off a 75 going by the window crank handles. I have a set of 84 doors in Australia I plan to use. Will be interesting to compare the two yellows. Also have a set of what I believe are 79 hard top sides. Maybe between the doors and hard top sides can justify painting it mustard. Had a very nice set of mustard ambulance doors from a 75 I let someone convince me to sell to him. Come to think of it I still have hard top sides and cap that came with those doors.
IMG_20190822_185941082.jpg
73C4F8C1-53DB-4B26-AFD0-06BBC2A6824F.jpeg

5DF1F164-CCAE-46A7-8BB1-28CAB25B6F5C.jpeg
IMG_20190520_135934742.jpg

@tls3601 do you have a picture of a 40 that is 531? Mine is a 75 and the original color is yellow, but I never thought it was 532. Can't find a good example of it. @Living in the Past - are the yellow doors in the pick from a 75 and therefore 531?

I think 531 is too brown, though, and I've seen 522 listed as well which looks very close. Mines from Costa Rica too, so wouldn't be limited to US colors for 75

Last edited:
@tls3601 do you have a picture of a 40 that is 531? Mine is a 75 and the original color is yellow, but I never thought it was 532. Can't find a good example of it. @Living in the Past - are the yellow doors in the pick from a 75 and therefore 531?

To my knowledge only the 75 model had metal window crank handles. My 76 is 10/75 and it has black plastic handle with silver in the knob which was the second generation of crank handle. The window popped out of guide and had to pull the interior panel to get it back together. It's still the original yellow paint. Both doors match as far as original color, repaint and hardware. So everything points to being 531.

Should add the 75 hard top sides I have are at another location. I say they are 75 based on not having a vent window and not having the bracket for three point seat belts. But seat belt brackets started 1/76 and these could be pre 1/76 76 model which started in 9/75.

Last edited:
Thank you. Those doors look a LOT like my yellow. At least I can start with the paint shop at Toyota 531 and let them match it.

It sounds like Colorado Beige was for use on "station wagons only". I guess the other possibility is this being Sundune White. Does anybody have the paint formulas for these two? I am pretty sure I can order them from 66 autocolor but they only sell them by the can. I was hoping to have a small amount of each made up to spray and see what they look like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom