Weird substance in Diagnostic Box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My CEL (check engine light) started coming on during highway driving, goes away after I turn the engine off, then may or may not come on again after a while. I also think that starting the engine gets a bit harder after it gets warm . . .

So I’ll be pulling the code(s) tomorrow (I understand I can use a paper clip to short the pins, right?) . . .

But, when I looked at the Diagnostic Box (opened its lid) I saw some substance over some of the pins?!? I don’t think this is supposed to be there. It looks like a beige toothpaste or putty or something.

How did this get there? What could it be? Could THIS be causing my CEL to light up? (Well, I should have the code(s) tomorrow in any case.)

Any ideas, anyone?

TIA

It's dielectric grease, they put it on at the factory to keep the connector from corroding. Normal, I've never seen one without that goop.

Yeah, no worries. It's supposed to be there, so don't go messin with it, ya hear!

So not so weird after all

Thanks much... One less out of the way... wait, now I'm thinking it wasn't covering all the pins, should I get more of that stuff and spread it real nice on'em?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom