Weird stalling issue on sniper converted 60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondering if anyone has dealt with a similar issue because it has me scratching my head. My 60 is desmogged, holley sniper converted, hei distributor converted, dual battery system ect ect. It's pretty dialed in and runs incredibly well except it does this weird thing where I'll be chugging along on the highway and every so often the car will just stall out and I have to pull over. Electric is still on but the engine just craps out all of a sudden. One turn of the key and it'll start right back up but it will do it at least once when I'm driving over an hour or 2 somewhere. Usually its in a convenient spot but I'm worried it'll happen in a spot where i'll have no shoulder and cause an accident.

I have no clue when or why it happens it just happens and it doesn't happen often enough for me to be too annoyed by it. Is this a thing with Sniper converted FJ60's? Is a timing/missfire type of thing? Electrical system related? Electric fuel pump or sniper jet issue?

Hopefully looking for an answer. Attached a pic of my engine bay for reference.

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 10.11.25 AM.png

If it runs very well surrounding the issue, I would think it's electrical. You've got a lot happening on those battery terminals - could it be possible your ignition or Sniper ECU is having a voltage interruption?

If it runs very well surrounding the issue, I would think it's electrical. You've got a lot happening on those battery terminals - could it be possible your ignition or Sniper ECU is having a voltage interruption?
Def alot going on there so good point.. red wire here is sharing same spot with the fusible link wire.. wonder if its causing interference like you said?

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 10.30.13 AM.png

what diagnostic work have you done? Any?
Any data logs?

what diagnostic work have you done? Any?
Any data logs?
I don't really know where to start with diagnosing this issue and I haven't ever checked the sniper data logs. Car runs perfectly fine besides this problem. All the numbers on the sniper screen are normal, nothing in the yellow/red.

Sounds like a heat soak issue with the electronics. That is going top be a tough one. I would start with a very solid body/engine/frame ground strap. Adding a robust ground strap made a difference on my rig. Everything from dash lights to heater motor just seemed to work better. Next if this is GM style HEI they were prone to losing the spark when the module in the dizzy got hot. Also if possible monitor fuel pressure to to see if fuel pressure drops off when the vehicle stalls, again the ground is critical for the fuel pump.

Sounds like a heat soak issue with the electronics. That is going top be a tough one. I would start with a very solid body/engine/frame ground strap. Adding a robust ground strap made a difference on my rig. Everything from dash lights to heater motor just seemed to work better. Next if this is GM style HEI they were prone to losing the spark when the module in the dizzy got hot. Also if possible monitor fuel pressure to to see if fuel pressure drops off when the vehicle stalls, again the ground is critical for the fuel pump.
Thanks man! Def gonna try out the ground strap thing. The dizzy is a Man-A-Fre lightning strike and I actually had to replace the ignition module at one point because it went bad. I carry an extra one in the dash because after that it sketched me out if I were to get stranded. Any way to prevent that module from getting hot? I'm not having any issues with the car running too hot.

Thanks man! Def gonna try out the ground strap thing. The dizzy is a Man-A-Fre lightning strike and I actually had to replace the ignition module at one point because it went bad. I carry an extra one in the dash because after that it sketched me out if I were to get stranded. Any way to prevent that module from getting hot? I'm not having any issues with the car running too hot.
Ah, I bet if' you rebuild that lightning strike and lube the upper reservoirs with some high temp wheel bearing grease, the problem goes away. And if not, you might just save yourself another huge issue looming.
Mine was grounding through the drive gear and the factory lube turned to gum. This fixed it.

More issues with sniper swaps? Say it ain’t so.

My Sniper doesn't really run that well until the magic 160 Deg. coolant temp is reached.
Cold starts idle is rough and it will stall at stops until it warms up. Fooling around with the settings and programming
has helped. Seems to be a constant thing making adjustments to the programming.
:beer: ✌️

My Sniper doesn't really run that well until the magic 160 Deg. coolant temp is reached.
Cold starts idle is rough and it will stall at stops until it warms up. Fooling around with the settings and programming
has helped. Seems to be a constant thing making adjustments to the programming.
:beer: ✌️
Mine starts a lil rough but smooths out pretty quick at around 90-100 deg. I used to have similar issues stalling out at stop signs and I too would mess with the programming. Felt like there had to be something wrong and so finally got in touch with a holley sniper technician through their help line. He had me send it in turns out one of the jets was faulty. They fixed it for free and sent back and the stalling issue went away hasn't come back since. Something you might wanna look into. They have a pretty good warranty on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom