Weird Power Steering Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crusha

Self-censoring my mud posts...
SILVER Star
Threads
No previous PS issues before performing some basic work.

Put the 1993 80 up on the lift to do a few things. I replaced the relay rod end attached to the pitman arm. Also at the same time, swapped out front third member (chipped ring gear teeth and worn pinion bearing).

With the wheels on the ground, engine running, power steering works as it should when turning to full lock passenger. Works fine returning to center, but at about half way through turning full lock driver, it binds...bad.

Up in the air, with no load on the tires, steering works fine.

I initiated the process of elimination starting with areas that had been disturbed by the work that was done. First, I disconnected the tie rod end on the right side (had to disconnect it to remove third member), thinking it may have been binding (mainly because one of my guys who was doing most of the work used a pickle fork to separate it). This also eliminates the left wheel from the steering system. Put the truck back on the ground, and the steering worked fine from lock to lock. Thought I had it solved...nope! Even though I replaced the TRE and buttoned it up, it was back to how it was initially. For the record, both wheels turned lock to lock by hand when the tie rod was disconnected.

Just to rule out any TRE issues, I removed them both from the rod, reinstalled each af them on the truck and made sure they moved freely, with no binding. They were fine.

Removed completer relay rod/stabilizer assembly and installed a known good one from another truck, still binding.

Also flushed the PS pump, still binding.

Confirmed crank bolt was torqued correctly at 304 pounds. It is. Still binding.

Belts are tight.

It seems like a pump issue. But why would it only affect the steering half way through a left turn?

I'm stumped...

Chipped/ warn steering gear in the pump?

You always have the best problems!!

Steering can become hard if you have a broken star in the birf. I bet you didn't look, but don't know why it showed up after you put it all together again

Some type of cavitation in the pump? maybe one of the seals in the pump piston? The pitman arm is close to the frame. Maybe that is rubbing somehow. Pitman arm bolt loose. Just throwing anything out there.

Last edited:
I’d be going after what @Satanic mechanic or @jamarquardt22 said. Those bearings in the birfs might be fine until you put weight on it. The ps pump shouldn’t care which way you are turning, only if it meets resistance. One of the last birf rebuilds I did the race was pitted like a mofo and I’m sure a short ways away from doing bearing damage.

To add to this I’d be happy to swing by your shop some evening after work. My mom lives in p-ville so it’s an excuse to drop in and see her as well.

All valid points/suggestions. I did isolate the steering box and swing the pitman arm lock to lock by hand with no binding. I removed the l/s axle and slowly rotated the birf...it's fricking binding up! I could not believe this. No issues prior to disassembly. I knocked the birf off the axle and thoroughly cleaned it. It binds, but I don't really see any reason why. I was able to remove the balls, but not the cages. I don't see any visible damage or unusual wear. My axles/birfs are chromoly and have about 35K on them. I ordered two new birfs, and will update when installed. I swear, if this is not the issue, I'm grabbing a noose! :bang:

Jackpot! Chromoly is much stronger then stock stuff but wears faster. I'm not supprized in a awd system you only got 35k from them. You need locking hubs and do the tcase mod that makes the front shaft not spin. or stock birfs, or don't drive it so much.

You need locking hubs and do the tcase mod that makes the front shaft not spin.

It doesnt work that way in the 80s unless you replace the tcase.
I'm not entirely sure of the purpose of the so called part time kits for them.
You replace the viscous coupling in the tcase with a spool, then replace the drive plates with lockout hubs...and voila part time.....but the front axle still has power to it all the time, just not the front wheels.

All valid points/suggestions. I did isolate the steering box and swing the pitman arm lock to lock by hand with no binding. I removed the l/s axle and slowly rotated the birf...it's fricking binding up! I could not believe this. No issues prior to disassembly. I knocked the birf off the axle and thoroughly cleaned it. It binds, but I don't really see any reason why. I was able to remove the balls, but not the cages. I don't see any visible damage or unusual wear. My axles/birfs are chromoly and have about 35K on them. I ordered two new birfs, and will update when installed. I swear, if this is not the issue, I'm grabbing a noose! :bang:
Did you put the cage in correctly?

Did you put the cage in correctly?

I never disassembled it until after the issue. The axle was just pulled out of the housing to swap the third member.

It doesnt work that way in the 80s unless you replace the tcase.
I'm not entirely sure of the purpose of the so called part time kits for them.
You replace the viscous coupling in the tcase with a spool, then replace the drive plates with lockout hubs...and voila part time.....but the front axle still has power to it all the time, just not the front wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom