***Weber Carb*** Adjustment Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnnyC

Long ago TLCA# 2231
Threads
At one time I was quite good at tuning Weber carbs...so I figure i'll share some knowledge and maybe some of you can have some good insite also...because lets face it ...there are many weber questions :rolleyes:

Some info i'll pull from other sites and i will note that as i go along.

These are observations and can be used as a base to start at:

Looking for real life applications for these #’rs

Weber cab jet sizes:

Main Jets 38/38:
Elevation:
SL (sea level) 1250ft 2500 3750 5000 6250 7500 8725+
F 150 145 140 135 135 130 130 125
2F 155 150 145 140 135 135 130 130

Air Correction 38/38:
Elevation:
F 180 180 185 185 190 190 195 200
2F 180 185 185 190 190 195 200 200

Idle jets 38/38:
Elevation:
F 60 60 55 55 50 50 45 45
2F 60 60 55 50 50 45 45 40

These jets in most cases go up incrementally 5 points…I have seen some odd in-between sizes 138’s 132’s ect.

(+/-) 5 points would be fine tuning from these points.

taken from: Weber Carburetors Carbs 40 DCOE 45 DCOE 32/36 32/34 Jeep. Top-End Performance 818 764-1901

32/36 DGV, DGEV, DFV and DFEV
These carbs have fixed venturis so the choke size is not an issue. The pump jets are also not a problem. Do not mess with them. If you have a flat spot or hesitation when you first take off then it is likely that the idle circuit is too lean. If you know you have the idle circuit right then the primary main jet is too small. Increase the main jet size 2 steps at a time. (150 main is a 1.5mm hole...Main jets are in steps of 5. eg: 150, 155,160,etc.) Keep checking the plugs after driving it for a few minutes (Do not let it idle when checking the spark plug color for the main jets. Drive the car above 2000-3000 RPM for a few minutes then shut the engine off before letting it idle then check the plugs. If the car then transitions fine but hesitates or falls on it face when the secondary is opened you need to work on the Secondary main jet....
A good option to playing around with your 32/36 Weber jetting is to just get one of our Custom Performance Jetting Kits....We offer these for all Single 32/36 DGV and DGEV applications operating from Sea Level to approx 4000 Ft...Above 4000 Ft you start having more altitude problems and the vehicle needs to be tuned as outlined here. Another good option is to install a Halmeter AF30 Air Fuel Ratio Gauge to help you with tuning. It is fast and accurate and will take alot of the guesswork out of it. This is a particularly valuable tool for cars that get track use so that you make sure you do not lean out and put a hole in a piston...

38/38 DGES
These carbs have fixed venturis so the choke size is not an issue. The pump jets are also not a problem. Do not mess with them. If you have a flat spot or hesitation when you firts take off then it is likely that the idle circuit is too lean. If you know you have the idle circuit right then the main jet is too small....Increase the main jet size 2 steps at a time. (150 main is a 1.5mm hole...Main jets are in steps of 5. eg: 150, 155,160,etc.) Keep checking the plugs after driving it for a few minutes (Do not let it idle when checking the spark plug color for the main jets. Another good option is to install a Halmeter AF30 Air Fuel Ratio Gauge to help you with tuning. It is fast and accurate and will take alot of the guesswork out of it. This is a particularly valuable tool for cars that get track use so that you make sure you do not lean out and put a hole in a piston...

Here's a question for you guys who've got a bit of experience:

I'm running a weber 38 on my 2f. When I start it cold, the choke kicks in and it revs up pretty well. When I hit the gas to kick the choke down (off?), it starts to stumble a bit and will sometimes slow down till the engine cuts off. It didn't do this when i first installed it (about 9 yrs ago). Once it's warm, it does fine. Any thoughts? Thanks, ty

When it starts acting up like that, spray some ether, or carburetor cleaner around the adapters and mounting flange for the carburetor, and report back as to what happens.

I am betting that you have a vacuum leak, that when the engine is cold it is more pronounced and when the engine is warmed up, the leak is not as severe due to things expanding as they get heat into them.

The bolts shipped with the adapter, that attach the top adapter plate to the lower plate are too long, and if not shortened up before installing, will pass through the lower adapter that they thread into, and cause the lower adapter to be pried up off the intake, creating at the very least a vacuum leak, and more likely than not, fracturing the lower adapter plate. This has been the case since the very first Weber I installed on my junk back in 1992, and is something that I have addressed with every Weber I have installed since. (At least 25, the most recent being last spring, and the bolts are still too long)

Post up what you find out...

32/36 adjustment
weber 32-36 adjustment.jpg

I am now fine tunning my rig.

I just replaced the main jets...running really well ( for those that dont know me i just put a 60K mile engine in with a redone head) stock weber was set for 155 mains I went to 142 (i had a set laying around) I am at sea level. I was running 135 for my 430,000 mile engine before replacing it.

the mixture screws are exactly (edit:just under) 1/2 turn off baseline...which is one turn...so to full in i am out 1 1/2 turns ....just right :)

I was running 10mpg with the 155's ....now with the 142's If I dont like the fuel economy...i can tweak it just a bit more and put a larger air correction jet...i have in now 180...i will go to 185....we'll see how it goes :)

Last edited:
Don't know if it will be useful information to others, but I run a 32DIR progressive openning manual choke carb on my truck. I adapted it to the F engine since I had a box of them from my Renault parts cars, and the single barrel carter that was on there was seized.

When my truck was otherwise stock and settings quite lean I managed about 16MPG with the 32DIR. Now after tuning for acceptable power, bigger tires, large roof rack, I rarely get better than 12-13MPG. I live at sea level.

Jets:

venturis: 23/24
idle jet: 55/60
main jet: 135/137
Air corrector: 180/170
Emulsion tube: f20/f6
Aux venturis: 3.5/4.5
Accel. pump jet: 50

As I mentioned the carb has a manual choke and a fuel cut off solenoid. The carb is probably too small but so far I have about 45k miles on it and am not really dissapointed.

When I was setting the carb up there wasn't a lot of baseline setting info around so I had the top off the 32DIR many,many times. A larger main works better for power at sea level but is very sensitive to elevation changes. We'll see how far off it is when I swap in the 2F before summer.

Last edited:
Sorry for the loong delay in getting back. I did the test and the only thing that happened was a small slow down in rpm-prob because the ether cooled the carb down. I adjusted the fast idle and it seems to be good now. Thanks for all the input, ty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom