Water leaking in behind dash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just bought a 79 FJ40. While driving it in the rain today...I noticed water hitting my feet. It's coming from under the dash on both sides pass and driver at an almost steady stream, even coming down in the center too in multiple trickles. What area usually causes this..

Thanks,
Andrew

from my experience it is either the windshield hinges or the hood hinges. The hood hinges should have rubber pads under them so that is an easy check. The windshield hinges on my 78 needed some rtv underneath to stop water from getting in. There are lots of other places water can get in under there though... Windshield to cowl gasket (the thick one under the windshield frame) and others

Last edited:
The seam where the curved portion of the cowl meets the lower windshield hinge support section can leak if the sealant is cracked or missing.

just bought a 79 FJ40. While driving it in the rain today...I noticed water hitting my feet. It's coming from under the dash on both sides pass and driver at an almost steady stream, even coming down in the center too in multiple trickles. What area usually causes this..

Thanks,
Andrew
A leak!

There are many places for a leak. You have to look at them all. Start with the big gasket between the windshield and the tub. You might have someone use a water hose and soak it down while you look from underneath with a light.

Look at the 'screen cowl' in the area between the windshield and the hood. There are 2 drain tubes that run from there thru the back of the dash and down thru the tranny hump. If either if those 2 rubber drain tubes are missing or not tightly attached, you will get water leakage.

John

There should not be any drain tubes on a '79. The cowl vent went away from '79 on.

Ah, ok then. Did not know that.

Thanks, John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom