Water in Transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm working on getting my 76FJ40 back on the road, it's been sitting for 15 years. Drained the transmission and was full of water from past offroad use. Transmission will not shift. Any recommendations on what to try and put in it before rebuilding it. Transfer case seamed to be ok.
It's a non-USA 4 speed, with a lower 1st gear, with a 3 speed case for lower gearing so don't want to put a standard USA transmission in it.

fj40.jpg

the no shifting could just be the slide plate on the top cover. it could be rusted stuck in place not letting the shifter move
while having the top off the trans you can look at the gears and see how bad they are, pics needed

You might want to take a look at Evapo-Rust. If you fill the transmission with it and allow to sit it will dissolve any rust that has formed inside. Once the transmission will shift again, drain/flush and then fill with transmission gear oil. If you're worried about debris left inside then drain and refill after some road miles are put on.

If you use the "Search Forums" link, upper left above, You can find some pics and info that will help ya open it up.
"HERE" and "HERE" is a head start.

I'd recommend thoroughly flushing the transmission with a suitable transmission fluid to ensure all water and contaminants are removed. This might free up any stuck components. After that, you can try adding a transmission additive designed to free up stuck gears and components. Remember, these are just temporary fixes, and if the transmission still doesn't shift, a rebuild or thorough inspection might be unavoidable

Thanks for the suggestions. I picked up some evapo-rust and planing to try this. Here are some pics, does not look as bad as I thought that it would. Apparently 20 years ago I drove it with water in there as 90 weight is all on the outside of the trans.
Here are some picks, the input bearing look good, water was not up to the fill plug.
I did recently replace the clutch master cylinder and may not have been adjusted properly. I’ve replaced the slave cylinder also and will set both pedal height and preload on the through bearing.
As a side not, my 15 year old some has been painting it and help to get it ready for his use.

IMG_0158.jpeg

IMG_0157.jpeg

IMG_0156.jpeg

IMG_0155.jpeg

IMG_0153.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom