Water leak again, wet passenger floor and now electrical problems - Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The local glass guy checked, and he didn't see any issue with the glass... :(
Id bet $100 its either sunroof drains/seal or the windshield.

Mine did this a few years back and ended up being the sunroof drain was partially clogged so it would work fine in normal conditions but heavy prolonged rain would cause the water to back up and leak. I also cleaned the drain with weed trimmer line many times and it pushed through fine each time but would still leak. It’s only when I folded the line to double the thickness and pushed it through that I felt the obstruction and it’s been good since.

cr8r

Thanks for the suggestions!
I just checked my door gaskets, and it appeared to be functional... not 100% sure but no water residue when I used the garden hose around the passenger door :(

camino70

Thank you very much for your offer!
I live in Suwanee so we're not too far away! I will try to fix it one more time and see what happens.
How do you use the soapy water and an external air source?
Any tips to share?
Would the soapy water/pressurized cabin test reveal any of the potential leaks being discussed here?

Truck running with fan on high + outside air inlet + soapy water + leak = bubbles

Mine did this a few years back and ended up being the sunroof drain was partially clogged so it would work fine in normal conditions but heavy prolonged rain would cause the water to back up and leak. I also cleaned the drain with weed trimmer line many times and it pushed through fine each time but would still leak. It’s only when I folded the line to double the thickness and pushed it through that I felt the obstruction and it’s been good since.
51KJRIvYuSS._AC_SY450_.jpg

I used this tool, and the brush came out fairly clean... didn't feel any obstruction either... :(

camino70 said:
Would the soapy water/pressurized cabin test reveal any of the potential leaks being discussed here?

Truck running with fan on high + outside air inlet + soapy water + leak = bubbles

Pretty ingenious!
Will try it and see what happens... just removed the cowl piece and redoing the seal :(

I think the extra square block of foam on the plastic cowl may be pushing the cowl away from the firewall and letting water in. The area right above the inlet has a channel in the cowl but the channel is shallow. With heavy long pouring rain, the channel may not be deep enough to redirect the water to the drain near the fender. I have seen the water start leaking into the sides of the filter and not directly onto the element redirecting the water to both left and right sides of the floor. Luckily my experience was caused directly by the cowl and a new cowl fixed the issue, my sunroof drains were clear. I have a feeling that the issue happens when one removes the cowl and the indentation of the bracket area does not perfectly line up after reinstallation. In my case, I had replaced the wiper mechanism under the cowl because the bushing wore out prior to the leak.

I think the extra square block of foam on the plastic cowl may be pushing the cowl away from the firewall and letting water in. The area right above the inlet has a channel in the cowl but the channel is shallow. With heavy long pouring rain, the channel may not be deep enough to redirect the water to the drain near the fender. I have seen the water start leaking into the sides of the filter and not directly onto the element redirecting the water to both left and right sides of the floor. Luckily my experience was caused directly by the cowl and a new cowl fixed the issue, my sunroof drains were clear. I have a feeling that the issue happens when one removes the cowl and the indentation of the bracket area does not perfectly line up after reinstallation. In my case, I had replaced the wiper mechanism under the cowl because the bushing wore out prior to the leak.
This is very promising!
I think I remember reading from the thread that you ended up with a new cowl.
What part# did you use?
I saw part# on my cowl embedded and found a part on the internet Toyota seller / Cowl Grille - Toyota (Part# 55708-60091).

Unfortunately, my vehicle had a front end accident history and looks like they replaced the hood & windshield.
The windshield checked out to be ok and perhaps my cowl isn't lining up right.

Initially, I had fair amount of water entering the passenger floor but the cowl foam tape solution found on the thread here fixed the issue.
However, just had first 2" of rain (rained for 3days while car packed) and I found water on my passenger floor again.

Should I attempt to replace all foam on my cowl with a new foam or just order a new cowl?

This is very promising!
What part# did you use?
I saw part# on my cowl embedded and found a part on the internet Toyota seller / Cowl Grille - Toyota (Part# 55708-60091).

Unfortunately, my vehicle had a front end accident history and looks like they replaced the hood & windshield.

Initially, I had fair amount of water entering the passenger floor but the cowl foam tape solution found on the thread here fixed the issue.
However, just had first 2" of rain (rained for 3days while car packed) and I found water on my passenger floor again.

Should I attempt to replace all foam on my cowl with a new foam or just order a new cowl?
The exact cowl I ordered is PN #5570860101 for a 2013 and cost more than I imagined. Mine was looking worn so I replaced it but if you can source the correct width foam tape, it maybe worth trying to reseal it. There is no lack of rain here during the winter where I am and I was able to confirm this was the issue by folding and placing a blue tarp underneath the passenger side wiper arm to cover the area. This helped me verify that the cowl was leaking before I ordered a replacement.

The exact cowl I ordered is PN #5570860101 for a 2013 and cost more than I imagined. Mine was looking worn so I replaced it but if you can source the correct width foam tape, it maybe worth trying to reseal it. There is no lack of rain here during the winter where I am and I was able to confirm this was the issue by folding and placing a blue tarp underneath the passenger side wiper arm to cover the area. This helped me verify that the cowl was leaking before I ordered a replacement.
Very helpful! Love the tarp trick!
I might have to place it on various spots to pinpoint the source.
Thanks for sharing... will try to new foam and also above tarp idea.

This is very promising!
What part# did you use?

I just saw some water in my passenger area yesterday and I think it’s due to the cowl being worn and improper reinstallation from about 4 new windshields. I saw some of the molded in clips broken off and the foam is all mushed. I ordered the part number 55708-60091. $280 plus $60 shipping from Toyota of cool springs. I’ll update when it comes.

I just saw some water in my passenger area yesterday and I think it’s due to the cowl being worn and improper reinstallation from about 4 new windshields. I saw some of the molded in clips broken off and the foam is all mushed. I ordered the part number 55708-60091. $280 plus $60 shipping from Toyota of cool springs. I’ll update when it comes.
Most excellent... keep us updated.
I saw about 3 variations of Cowl and 55708-60091 is the cheapest... not sure what's the difference from others.

Most excellent... keep us updated.
I saw about 3 variations of Cowl and 55708-60091 is the cheapest... not sure what's the difference from others.
Cowl assembly arrived yesterday. Fits like a glove. Even had the washer fluid hoses attached and ready to go. Went through the car wash last night and all was good.

I need some pictures of the removal and installation, or it didn’t happen.

I need some pictures of the removal and installation, or it didn’t happen.
The first 6 min of this video show taking one off.

Last edited:
I just ordered cowl PN 55708-60091. Are you guys who are installing a new cowl- removing the added weatherstripping (that didn't help)?

If the new cowl seals, doesn't seem necessary to keep the added weatherstripping in there.

I just ordered cowl PN 55708-60091. Are you guys who are installing a new cowl- removing the added weatherstripping (that didn't help)?

If the new cowl seals, doesn't seem necessary to keep the added weatherstripping in there.
You do not need to add anything.
The OEM cowl solved the issue immediately and completely.
Luckily, I found the issue right after it happened, and corrected it right away.

Are these years oriented? Any one of you guys ordered one for a 2008 LC? Part#? I see different ones and not sure what to order. Thanks

The weatherstripping I added is attached to the cowl, so by removing the cowl, it would remove the additional weatherstripping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom