water in fuel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '70 FJ40 ran for 20 seconds this morning and then quit. Is it possible that the water sitting on top of the fuel (We've had 3 days of rain non stop and I have no top) tank leaked through the gasket and contaminated my fuel? I drained the fuel, put in new fuel and sprayed the carb with cleaner. Runs perfect now.

PS - Where do I get the new gasket?

Could be if what you did fixed it.

Think about the ratio of fuel to water. Was the tank almost empty?? A big rain and little gas in the tank could certainly do that.

Edit: 20 seconds is not really enough time to get bad gas to the engine. Maybe your efforts unclogged something else.

Could be if what you did fixed it.

Think about the ratio of fuel to water. Was the tank almost empty?? A big rain and little gas in the tank could certainly do that.

Edit: 20 seconds is not really enough time to get bad gas to the engine. Maybe your efforts unclogged something else.

I wondered about that. It may have been longer than 20 sec. but no more than a minute. I do have a Chevy 350 motor which I would think would hurry up the fuel consumption a little.

CCOT or SOR has gaskets..or you could make your own if you have the right material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom