Was the rear heater a standard feature or an option in 1974 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at a '74 for purchase. I had been under the impression that the heater in the rear was a standard on US bound FJ40's and that the lack of a heater was an indication that the truck may have originated outside the US. I was told my the seller that I was incorrect. Can someone help shed some light on this burning question.

As far as I know the rear heater was a option. Have a few 40s I bought that didn't have a rear heater. Would be rare to find a 66 without front heater in the US market. After that front heater was on all Land Cruisers imported to NA by Toyota. But doing a search of the FJ40 in the US after 8/80 and shows both center consoles available. The one used 1/79-7/80 on all US imports that had no heater and the 8/80+ when the heater was in the base of the console. Would have to be a cruiser minus the front heater and operational vent in the center of the cowl to know it was a non US import. Also having a US style air cleaner and emissions would most likely put it a US import. Most Middle East cruisers in the seventies did not have a front heater. Few chrome items usually giver those away. SA didn't have front heaters. Europe because of the rust not seeing many FJ40s being imported from there. BJ4X are more common.

Last edited:
Mine also didnt have the rear heater. It gets in the way so yea it is removed often. There are other ways to tell the South American trucks, if I remember correctly the front heater, transmission, drum brakes all around, and yes the air cleaner is usually a give away. I always notice those little black bumper guards on South American trucks. Definitely when you dont have a FRONT heater that is usually a south american from pics I have seen. Only reason us spec FRONT heaters get removed is for vintage air AC/Heat install etc.

I wouldnt use the rear heater to determine south american truck bc so often removed.

Good luck with purchase!

you don't think that some time in the last 46 years some one may have removed it?

My 68 did not have one when I bought it in 74. I found one in a wrecking yard and installed it. Loaded with camping gear caused the coil to leak. I found a coil on eBay and replaced it. I sure this has happened to others who just removed the rear heater.

I was given a rear heater out of a bone stock 74, all I had to do was remove it. I do think it was an add on option back then. It now resides in my 76 which did not come with one. Unknown if my P.O. ditched it or if it even originally had one.

I was given a rear heater out of a bone stock 74, all I had to do was remove it. I do think it was an add on option back then. It now resides in my 76 which did not come with one. Unknown if my P.O. ditched it or if it even originally had one.

it was an option both years.

20200710_183410.jpg

20200710_183858.jpg

Obviously some of the optional items were with US manufacturers. This when back in to the early sixties where Toyota was offering their dealers heaters and hubs that Toyota had make deals with US businesses. Interesting those included Ramsey PTO winches and Husky soft tops both were Toyota was selling OEM as well.

While my 73 FST had aftermarket heaters installed front and rear when I bought it it did have the one year only front and rear blower switches. Not sure if the rear was a option only for FHT was true or not.

the factory lit mentions only for the the FHTs, the 75 brochure features a FST, and it appears to not have a rear heater.

Not having a rear heater pictured in the literature would not necessarily mean it wasn't available as a option. The 73 model was the only year with the heater blower switches marked front or back. Earlier they simply had a H on the knobs and 74 and later used the same switch and rear heater came on in high. During a part of the 81 model the rear heater had a switch in the center console. The or 8/80+ console had a blank filling the hole where the switch went. The dash has threaded hole for safety straps in 73 and hole for a rear heater blower switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom