Warn VR winches? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There was a time when I went snow crawling with some people. They had 400hp jeeps with 37" plus tyres. I couldnt float as well ( because my cruiser weighed about a ton more with smaller tyres. )

Sounds like they know a little more about snow, huh?

My group = guys on big tires with 400HP. My group will usually just push each other before getting our hands dirty on sum ol cable.

You were the anchor that was frustrating the guys that were setup for the days wheeling. Now your whining to me about safety? :princess:

I used my VR a few times this past week/weekend at GSMTR and it did great. It pulled me up some steep inclines and out of a flop. The only problem I had was that my stock alternator had a hard time keeping up with it which is my fault for not swaping it out before the trip. That will be fixed next time out.

OK, good to know on the speed. Thanks. But what do the changes above like the motor and solenoids mean in terms of reliability and durability?

So what makes this winch worth $100 more than a Smittybuilt XRC8 that has an 8.2 FPM pull at 8000#?

Jeremy

I don't work for Warn, but I do know something about companies that buy product to a spec from outside suppliers. Outside suppliers will also typically sell similar products (made using the same ingredients and on the same equipment) to other companies. A different spec on the "same" product will change the price.

Made up example: widget w/1" hole in the middle. The spec can define the hole as +/- .001, or .0001. The spec can also define the middle in a similar manner. A tighter spec means a higher defect rate (more pieces out of spec) and thus drives up the price.

When you assemble a complex product like a winch, the variability of the individual pieces can significantly impact performance and longevity. A tighter spec means that the individual pieces are more likely to fit together like the engineers intended. This in turn means the product is more likely to perform to it's design capability.

Assembled in house, in the US means that Warn gets to inspect the parts before they're assembled into a finished product. US labor is more expensive, but enables a higher level of confidence in product quality.

Now extend this across a production run of 1000 winches. With a looser spec, and a lax inspection/testing process during assembly there will be a lot that will perform poorly, or fail early. Whereas with a tighter spec and excellent quality processess in assembly, there should be very few that perform poorly.

All of this should mean the warrenty is less likely to be used. Only time will tell though.

Does this mean it's worth a $100 premium? That's a personal decision, but for me I'd say it is.

Sounds like they know a little more about snow, huh?

My group = guys on big tires with 400HP. My group will usually just push each other before getting our hands dirty on sum ol cable.

You were the anchor that was frustrating the guys that were setup for the days wheeling. Now your whining to me about safety? :princess:[/QUOTE

It sounds like you have problems chop shop.

Last edited:
Im not a sissy. Ive ran a winch since I was a kid. I dont need safety lessons. EVERY time you hook a cable to something you should be on top of your game.

I have stalled and burnt up more winches than you have most likely even used. Im not afraid of any lay down winch out there. I do have more respect for the power and SPEED of the upright warn than any other ELECTRIC winch I have used.
Right now on my property I have 2 smitty8Ks, 2 warn laydown 12Ks, and one MM pos that wont work anymore without a hammer.

All I see is you making an excuse as to why I cant have an honest pulloff in the name of research.

I would love to leave 4 burnt brush marks on the commutator of a VR if anyone has one and wants to throw down.

Its all speculation till one wins.

Cheaper with better stats
or
Cheap with bad stats.

Either smitty is misrepresenting its line/load speeds or warn is charging an extra $100 for less performance.

I am curious to find out. If my smitty stalls out by all means I will suggest a cost effective warn.

chop shop If it means that much to you , then OK go for it.

Some are made in China (LP) and some are made in England (Husky). I don't know about the rest, but many look like they contain Chinese parts.

Some are made in China (LP) and some are made in England (Husky). I don't know about the rest, but many look like they contain Chinese parts.

What don't those days ..

what a complicated desicion .. damn .. !

It would be nice to get more reviews about the Warn VR winch.

My apologies to the Mud members for my behavior in some previous posts.

Woah this VR series is looking like a good choice for my TJM bumper! With the limited space that it has currently hahah The previous owner said that the largest winch that will fit is the 9.5xp, so ever since then I have been shopping for a winch that is less than 22.7"x6.3"x7.7"...

the 12k VR winch is 21.83"x6.3"x6.97", which makes it one of the smaller 12k winches out there because I have seen none in this compact size?

Is the 9.5xp really bigger than the 12k VR? It would also help if we could get the weight of the actual VR12 compared to the 9.5xp because my truck uses torsion bars, not sure if it can handle it:D

EDIT: warn 9.5xp(87 lbs) compared to vr12000(89 lbs)

I may have to get this next time there is a promo!
Warn Industries - Jeep, Truck & SUV Winches: VR12000

Last edited:
David, "lo barato sale caro" :hillbilly:

Buy a used 8274 ;)

that's not enough for our heavy offroad .. in my heavy ass Tencha ..

Hi All:

David, the Superwinch Husky is a heavy-duty worm drive electric winch, well suited for pulling a Land Cruiser wagon out of a mud hole! :D

Regards,

Alan

David, "lo barato sale caro" :hillbilly:

Buy a used 8274 ;)

I would love an 8274 since it will bolt right up to my bumper.....I just can't find a used one for my $300 to $400 dollar budget near me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom