WARN 8274...show what ya got! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

part 2

put strap on other side and block higher up in tree to get all the way off rd

part 2

put strap on other side and block higher up in tree to get all the way off rd

Is that a Commercial ARB Bumper or a Deluxe modified to fit the 8274?

Haven’t seen any with the 4+ bumper yet. AP4 January “P” 1984, think it was $300 on Craigslist in 2007. New plug and changed oil and have been running it. Only used it a handful of times. Winched some trees to block an illegal trail route, saved my bacon out in Moab, saved someone else’s bacon here in Colorado, pulled a guy out of a ditch in a snowstorm, recovered an abandoned FJ40. That’s all I can remember sadly, need to get out more. Only has 100’ of cable on it now because the old cable was frayed and kinked and nasty and this was a free take-off from someone going synthetic. Had to free up the brake a couple years ago because it didn’t want to freespool.

EDAD10F0-EA5C-43AA-AA51-A2166F308CBB.jpeg

2C86E691-3517-4420-A9F1-AD57C9EF7090.jpeg

Last edited:
I scored a 70th Anniversary addition 8274 a few months ago. Got a buddy designing me a bumper for it. Going to have to cut the grill a little but the clearance will be worth it. Can't wait to get it installed.

View attachment 2571485

If you are building a custom front bumper...why cut the grill? Design the bumper to accept the winch.

The 8274-70 is a nice score. Has some upgrades from the normal 8274. 6hp motor, albright contactor, uprated bearings, captured brake shaft, 150' of 3/8" synthetic line. Should make a nice addition to your rig.

If you are building a custom front bumper...why cut the grill? Design the bumper to accept the winch.

The 8274-70 is a nice score. Has some upgrades from the normal 8274. 6hp motor, albright contactor, uprated bearings, captured brake shaft, 150' of 3/8" synthetic line. Should make a nice addition to your rig.

I was trying to maintain the best approach angle, if you look closely you can see we are notching the frame just slightly as well. Pics showing tucked vs untucked:

Tucked.jpg

Untucked.jpg

I was trying to maintain the best approach angle, if you look closely you can see we are notching the frame just slightly as well. Pics showing tucked vs untucked:

View attachment 2572147
View attachment 2572148

Your call of course. But we are probably talking just a few inches which would not require the entire span of the bumper be moved forward just the area where the winch resides. Unless you were to encounter dips or stair-steps that HAD to be met straight on (instead of angling across them) its doubtful it would cause you any problems. I'm assuming you are already (or will be) 'lifted' some amount?

If you are building for 'hard core' off-roading and approach and departure angles will be common limiting factors....then a different winch might be a better choice. If you are in the moderate to advanced group then I wouldn't think butchering the grill, bumper or frame would be necessary just to accommodate the 8274.

But its your project. Love to see it when its all done. Good luck with it.

Flint.

Your call of course. But we are probably talking just a few inches which would not require the entire span of the bumper be moved forward just the area where the winch resides. Unless you were to encounter dips or stair-steps that HAD to be met straight on (instead of angling across them) its doubtful it would cause you any problems. I'm assuming you are already (or will be) 'lifted' some amount?

If you are building for 'hard core' off-roading and approach and departure angles will be common limiting factors....then a different winch might be a better choice. If you are in the moderate to advanced group then I wouldn't think butchering the grill, bumper or frame would be necessary just to accommodate the 8274.

But its your project. Love to see it when its all done. Good luck with it.

Flint.
Well I’m not too concerned about cutting anything. I’m already lifted a few inches and on 35s, it’s just a woods toy. And a different winch would be better but I had a friend growing up that his dad had a 8274. I bought mine because I thought the world of his dad and I always smile and remember the good days when we were kids when I see one (stupid I know but it’s the little things in life that bring you joy).

Looks good!

I too would extend the bumper out some to accommodate without grille interference, it would also make reaching the In/Out handle slightly easier.

Well I’m not too concerned about cutting anything. I’m already lifted a few inches and on 35s, it’s just a woods toy. And a different winch would be better but I had a friend growing up that his dad had a 8274. I bought mine because I thought the world of his dad and I always smile and remember the good days when we were kids when I see one (stupid I know but it’s the little things in life that bring you joy).

Understand the winch model choice it is far and away my favorite. Been running the same one since 1983 (bought new).

I run a zeon on my Tacoma in a SDHQ mount behind the bumper cover. It's been a good one, I really love the wireless remote. The battery life is TERRIBLE but I like the ability to be able to free spool without being at the winch. The ultrahook stays sideways when not in use but when the pic was taken I was adjusting for another angle, we were cutting trees on my buddy's property.

SDHQ.jpg

Warn Zeon.jpg

Looks good!

I too would extend the bumper out some to accommodate without grille interference, it would also make reaching the In/Out handle slightly easier.

The In/Out handle is a concern. Also a little worried about blocking cooling to the radiator since the winch is so huge... Guess I'll tackle that next if it becomes an issue.

Not to derail the excellent 8274 thread, but I am working through a couple of mods to improve the cooling of my 80, one is to remove the giant Lights I had mounted on the ARB that I felt blocked some airflow.

If you are using as a woods truck, it may not block as much air and be as critical, but space between may not hurt.

Oh, nice score with the 70th, that is what I ordered after looking for a couple years for a nice period correct one nearby, but I just missed out and ended up with the similar version without the cool badging.

4CC91DEE-4652-4A2B-B4ED-4D7D9D4F2D68.jpeg

Not to derail the excellent 8274 thread, but I am working through a couple of mods to improve the cooling of my 80, one is to remove the giant Lights I had mounted on the ARB that I felt blocked some airflow.

If you are using as a woods truck, it may not block as much air and be as critical, but space between may not hurt.

Oh, nice score with the 70th, that is what I ordered after looking for a couple years for a nice period correct one nearby, but I just missed out and ended up with the similar version without the cool badging.

View attachment 2572636

Oh man.....my favorite color on a Fj40 !

IMO the 8274 looks better on a FJ40 bumper than any other vehicle. Its not hidden behind of bunch of tubing, lights, etc...

Just standing there in all its majesty. Great pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom