WARN 8274...show what ya got! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Graniteone @matzell and others running the HFS 8274 bumper - Did you guys add a bracket like this to your frame for additional mounting points when installing the bumper? I saw this at a shop today and snapped a pic.

PtQdkK8.jpg

Mine is a BTB bumper. I did not add any additional supports. The one above is missing the stock c-channel piece that supports the bumper.

Picked up 2 8274 winches and a bumper for my ford for $650. Sorry just had to tell someone, no one else would understand.

Two 8274’s for $650?? Were you wearing a mask? You could be arrested for this.

Good score!

Hmm...I'm pretty sure my dad has a '70's vintage 8274 laying around his shop... Looks like most of you guys are putting them in older rigs. Anyone got one mounted on a 100?

I was able to find a bumper from 4x4 labs that fits an 8274 on my 80 series. Hope you can find a outfit that builds a 8274 winch bumper for a 100 series, or you can build your own and be the first.

Hmm...I'm pretty sure my dad has a '70's vintage 8274 laying around his shop... Looks like most of you guys are putting them in older rigs. Anyone got one mounted on a 100?
I was able to find a bumper from 4x4 labs that fits an 8274 on my 80 series. Hope you can find a outfit that builds a 8274 winch bumper for a 100 series, or you can build your own and be the first.
If you're going this route, I found a super nice prefabricated 8274 winch mount from Barnes 4WD. Really nicely made!

I guess you know that the venerable 8274 is wider and way taller than most any other winch, and has a larger non-standard mounting pattern also. Modern Cruisers and trucks don't always have enough real estate in front of the grill, and the standard aftermarket bumpers do not offer the correct mounting bolt pattern.

Last edited:
@MoGas @William Ries @flintknapper @matzell @GadgetPhreak @Jason hansen You guys running wire rope, are you running 5/16" diameter? 150'?

I scored a '78 and need rope. Don't want to pay ~$400 for synthetic line right now.

Yes Sir,

I run 150' of 5/16" aircraft cable. For my purposes...the durability is a factor. My winch is used most often around the ranch to skid/move things and I can't be concerned with avoiding abrasion, etc...

Very seldom do I use my winch for self recovery, but I do use it (double line) for extracting tractors and other farm equipment...so I need the long length and toughness of the steel cable. Many folks that opt for synthetic line end up purchasing a 100' rope (to save money) and that might serve them well, but I need the longest length line possible and even carry a coiled up cable (additional 100') just in case.

Last edited:
My 8274 bought new in 1983. Freshened it up about 10 years ago.

My WARN 8274 rebuild part 1.....

Still going strong 36 years later. I have it on my '70 model 1/2 Cab and have used it many, many times to extract people, move things, etc....
IMO one of the best winches ever made. Thinking seriously about getting a new one for my Cruiser.

View attachment 1903690

I learned to drive stick in a bronco almost identical to that. Good times.

I learned to drive stick in a bronco almost identical to that. Good times.

Yes.

But the factory 3 speed manual (on the column) was the first thing that had to go. I put a New Process 435 four speed in it (with a granny low) right away. It's really what should have been in them from the start.

In low range, low gear (granny) I can let it idle and walk beside it. When putting out hay for the cows I'll just let it chug along while I stand on the trailer behind it.... kicking off hay bales. Then when done, I hop off and go to a higher gear or high range. I modified the shift tower so that I have low range in 4wd or 2wd (the gear position is already there in a Dana 20 Tcase, factory just didn't let you use it).

Yes.

But the factory 3 speed manual (on the column) was the first thing that had to go. I put a New Process 435 four speed in it (with a granny low) right away. It's really what should have been in them from the start.

In low range, low gear (granny) I can let it idle and walk beside it. When putting out hay for the cows I'll just let it chug along while I stand on the trailer behind it.... kicking off hay bales. Then when done, I hop off and go to a higher gear or high range. I modified the shift tower so that I have low range in 4wd or 2wd (the gear position is already there in a Dana 20 Tcase, factory just didn't let you use it).

Ours was a 3 speed converted to floor shift. The bronco was a bit beat, but it had to be the late 80's when I was learning...good point of growing up rural was being able to drive before 16.

I wish I could find a picture of the bronco we had in the early 80s. It was really nice, lifted (big tires for back in the day) I remember getting burned trying to get in as a little kid because they had side pipes on it 🤣 Drunk driver hit it when it was sitting on our side street.

Date code GE7 I believe that means it was made July 12 1977. Good ole winch. Currently struggling with the decision to replace solenoids with contactor or just buy a couple of golf cart solenoids for back ups. Still works great though.
Warn 8274 winch 053.jpg
Warn 8274 winch 051.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom