warn 8274 died :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
winch worked really well for me 3 saturdays ago.
2 saturdays ago it didn't work.
after i made several sucessfull extractions, i burried my bumper and winch
about 1 foot under water.
when i went to use to again, nothing worked.

from what i understood, these things should even work submerged, but there is someting about mine that is fried.

i've pulled the control module off and opened it, but nothing looks burnt or
wrong... not that i know what to look for.

maybe the motor is shot. i can't image that the water would have shorted anything
being that i didn't use it while it was under water.... or within a week after.

any thoughts? anything i should post a picture of?
anything that always happens with these winches?

thanks for the help.

[quote author=rusmannx link=board=1;threadid=14356;start=msg134047#msg134047 date=1081303235]
anything that always happens with these winches?

[/quote]

They work ;)

Verify the connections, and power to the solenoids. Is there anything? A click or anything? If not, and you have power, your controller lead could be jacked, get out the ohm meter for that...

Good luck!

-Steve

no clicks, no sounds, no nothing.
i checked the power and the ground (grounds through the bumber).
any method for checking voltages and such across the solenoids?

It shouldn't ground through the bumper, winches are such high draw that they should have a direct ground to the battery.
I fried the coil on my ATV Warn 2500 running it heavily with a weak battery. Possibly a poor ground limited the current to your winch and hopefully didn't fry it like it did mine.

Steve-

PM me your phone # and I will give you a call.

-Steve

It shouldn't ground through the bumper

when i pulled the winch off of my fathers truck, there was no lead for the ground.
when i installed the winch on the 40, i never found a place to put a ground, and once mounted to the bumper with the hot wire on the battery, it worked no sweat... as it has in several occasions.

where would this negative lead hook to the winch?

poser, i'll pm you my number. i can't find my meter, so i won't be able to take any measurements tonight. i'll call a friend though and see if i can find another one.

On the earlier winches, it attached to one of the electric motor mounting screws, on the latter ones, -50 series, Warn has installed a lug on the bottom of the motor case that attaches the ground cable, and the ground lead to the solenoids, as along with switching the power, Warn has decided to control the ground also, just to make sure that there is a proper ground in the circut. Saftey, ya know...

Klear as mudd?

-Steve

LANDPIMP SAVES THE DAY!

this is exactly what i needed. thanks a lot.

Good luck Russy. Better get it fixed soon so you can pull me out this weekend.

fixed it.
the ohm meter found a bad wire between the switch and the solenoid.

Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom