Warn 8074 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. I just bought a '71 FJ40 that came with a Warn 8074 winch. I've decided to restore the winch but I've hit a snag pretty early that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I've removed the circlip holding the brake assembly to the shaft but the assembly will not come off! I've tried everything but it just won't budge. I've decided to soak the hell out of it overnight with some PB Blaster. Maybe tomorrow will be different. I'm sure I'm missing something and hope you can help me out. Thanks a lot!

56039365081__E4573069-C4E2-4E99-80ED-58F311A4F3B2 2.jpg

IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

I had to put mine in a vice and use a air chisel. Don’t beat on the end of the shaft with a hammer, you don’t want to mushroom the end. If you don’t have a air chisel try a punch and hammer. Place the punch in the dimple on the end of the shaft and hit it hard. I used emery cloth to clean the shaft before re-assembly.

Or get a puller on it and whack it from the side while under pressure. Common challenge.

Nice clean truck, I too have an 8074 for my '73 FJ40. Time correct for restoring. Post up
some pics as you go along.

I fought with the brake on mine for a few days.

IIRC I had the plates resting in an open vice and pounded the center shaft out.

Wd40 penetrating oil for a few days. 3 jaw puller. Tap it with a hammer and add pressure.

Restoration is coming along. I had to buy another pinion and splined cam which will be arriving at the end of the week. Here's a pic of the winch parts on my bench before reassembly.

Does anyone have a favorite/recommended lube and gear oil? This is my first winch resto.

IMG_2713.jpg

The oil in my 8274's: Straight 30 non detergent. But I really don't think it matters that much. Just be sure there's no rust inside and that the oil is clean.

Last edited:
I'm missing the protective cap that goes on top of the brake ratchet (Warn part # 9220). Can't seem to find it after an internet search. Does anyone know where I can fond one?

I'm missing the protective cap that goes on top of the brake ratchet (Warn part # 9220). Can't seem to find it after an internet search. Does anyone know where I can fond one?

Not exactly sure what cap you are talking about, but have you tried Warn?

Yeah, I sent them an email this morning. It's #17 on the diagram...

Attachments

• Warn Diagram.pdf
    290.5 KB · Views: 314
I'm betting they will have it but I'd give them a call & get it ordered.

Does anyone have a favorite/recommended lube and gear oil? This is my first winch resto.

I put synthetic gear lube in mine, just because I have it on hand in 5 gallon pails. And I live in a hot climate, so I don't think the extra viscosity hurts anything. It's not a super high-stress environment for lube oil; I imagine almost anything within reason would work. Warn originally specified straight 30W as @John McVicker said.

Yeah, I sent them an email this morning. It's #17 on the diagram...

Yes, try Warn, but you might have to buy the whole ratchet assembly to get cover #17...I hope u can get it separate though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom