Wanted Wanted? Daily Driver - is L.C. a Good Choice? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 2004 Tacoma (base 2wd) that I have had since new. It is presently my wife's and my only vehicle. After leaning on Lyft (in town) and rentals (out of town) for over a year, we are starting to convince ourselves a second vehicle makes sense. We are not especially outdoorsy types, and frankly I am attracted to Land Cruiser primarily from a build quality standpoint. My points of reference in that regard were an old Fiat in high school (terrible) and my Tacoma (essentially nothing but tires and batteries for 145k miles). Since the truck only seats two, we have been thinking a second vehicle should seat as many as possible so we can be better hosts when friends and family come to visit. Our street has flooded three times in the past year, which is why I'm drawn toward the ground clearance of SUVs in general (as opposed to a minivan).

This has rambled a bit, but my basic question is whether a 15-year old Land Cruiser/LX with the inevitable 180k+ miles that implies is a reasonable choice for a low-maintenance daily driver if off-road capability are not that big a factor for us. Apart from general purchase advice like a pre-purchase inspection at a trusted mechanic, should I be lookiing for the lowest mileage I can afford or is a well-maintained 200k mile truck still relatively low-maintenance?

I'm in New Orleans for reference. I posted this to 100-series thread, as that seems to be the model most likely to give us a low-maintenance Land Cruiser for around $10,000, but I'm open to the 80 or even the 60 if those are better options. Thank you in advance for any direction you all can provide. I've been combing these classifieds for awhile, but never posted before.

It's tricky, they are basically low maintenance, but once a LandCruiser got you hooked :cautious:............. better run now :rofl:

:cheers:

It's tricky, they are basically low maintenance, but once a LandCruiser got you hooked :cautious:............. better run now :rofl:

:cheers:

The Land Cruiser is an excellent choice for a daily driver. It's super reliable, safe and drivable in any weather or road condition.

But it is not a low maintenance vehicle. They require preventive maintenance (PM) of something every 6 months or 5K miles. Most of which is fluid changes. If you want low maintenance buy new. The manufactures started engineering PM out around 2005, when the cry of buyers became cost of ownership. These low PM vehicle are design to last through warranty period. After that components begin to fail, components that PM in the past would lasted have a very long time.

Last edited:
Or go with a 4runner. Very reliable, cheaper than a LC. A litttle better MPG.

Thank you all for the feedback. My buddy has a GX, and he tried to push me in that direction too. I loved the first generation Prados I saw in Kenya, but can't get myself excited about the GX we get here for some reason. The 4runner likely is the right choice for our needs, so I'll broaden my search a bit. I don't have a driveway or garage to work in, but changing fluids seems within my capabilities if it gets me a pre-infotainment vehicle designed to run beyond 200k miles. Thanks again.

You may also want to consider a Highlander if you are not towing or off roading. Much better ride and better MPG. We have a 13’ and it’s been trouble free. Seen as high as 24 mpg highway.

I've been daily driving my '03 since I bought it 4 years and 62K miles ago. Of all the vehicles I've owned, this is by far my favorite DD. It's quiet, comfortable, reliable, doesn't rattle, has room for my family of 5 plus dog and can get us to the mountains and beach in any weather. I'm 95% on road with 33" BFG AT's and a small lift and it's still my favorite DD. I would recommend spending a bit more on one with less miles and good service history and it will hold it's value when/if the time comes to sell.

The only downside is the fuel cost. We're getting back to $70+ fill ups these days (at least in the Boston area). I may have to add a Prius to the fleet to offset gas cost lol.

You may also want to consider a Highlander if you are not towing or off roading. Much better ride and better MPG. We have a 13’ and it’s been trouble free. Seen as high as 24 mpg highway.

:ban:

Or go with a 4runner. Very reliable, cheaper than a LC. A litttle better MPG.

I'm kind of here too. :( Want a Land Cruiser though cause this:

once a LandCruiser got you hooked

Don’t get me wrong. I also want a Land Cruiser too but the prices for a good condition low mileage examples are getting out of hand. Unless $ is no issue I am thinking there are better options for most of us.

I appreciate all of the sobering advice, even if it didn't soak in. I came across a good condition '99 LX locally about a week ago, and took the plunge. Scheduled to get the AC serviced and timing belt replacement in another week, but loving driving it already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom