SOLD 1999 100 series/238k, good decision? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys, I'm not nearly as well read on the 100 series but I checked this guy out today for my teenage sons. 238k on the clock, 17 clean pages of carfax reports. Not nearly as much rust as Ive seen on other 100's. Drove great, and every single button worked. Needs new struts for the hood and a new bottom tailgate hanger. Thoughts?

What else should I be looking for/thinking about? Thanks in advance.

It really depends on how it has been maintained. From the pictures, they’ve cleaned it up really well, but don’t show the engine bay, or under carriage.

Does the sunroof work?
Ticking on cold start?
When was the timing belt last done?
Heater T’s condition?
Radiator browning?
CV axle condition?
P—>R—>D clunk severity?
Any engine compartment leaks?
Play in steering?
Do brakes require a double pump to feel right?

I put my kid in a 00 LC ~10 years ago, and have no regrets, but I did spend a fair bit on baselining/refurbishing the vehicle. Owning both pre-VSC/ATRAC (99) and post-VSC/ATRAC, I’d lean towards VSC/ATRAC for a kids vehicle.

I’d add a modern stereo with backup camera at the very least.

An ARB bumper and a set of sliders tends to help prevent damage in a HS/college parking lots.

Last edited:
Sunroof worked as it should. I tried pushing every single button I could find with no broken things. Engine bay was clean with zero leaks observed. I didnt hear any ticking, and since we had to jump the battery, thats about as cold of a start as you could get. The battery was likely dead because of our abnomally cold weather recently. Heat and AC seemed to work. No play in the steering that I felt. I actually thought it drove great. I did see a driver side CV boot leak....seen worse...seen better.

I may also check out a 2000 LX470 with only 165k on it. Timing belt was done at 105k. Its 2 hours away so I would have to go see it.

Sunroof worked as it should. I tried pushing every single button I could find with no broken things. Engine bay was clean with zero leaks observed. I didnt hear any ticking, and since we had to jump the battery, thats about as cold of a start as you could get. The battery was likely dead because of our abnomally cold weather recently. Heat and AC seemed to work. No play in the steering that I felt. I actually thought it drove great. I did see a driver side CV boot leak....seen worse...seen better.

I may also check out a 2000 LX470 with only 165k on it. Timing belt was done at 105k. Its 2 hours away so I would have to go see it.

At this age, I’d worry less about mileage, and more about maintenance history.

I bought my son’s 00 LC, in 2014, with <100k, and three previous owners. Someone in its history put gas in it, and waited for things to break. If something broke, it was fixed at the local full service gas station.

I bought a 99 LX, in 2019, as a spare vehicle, with 230k, from the original owner, who took it to the dealer every 7.500k, whether it needed or not.

The 99 LX had a whole lot more paint/interior wear, but was more mechanically sound.

Last edited:
Looks solid. But as already said, check for leaks and rust underneath.
When you put in Drive, does the letter ‘D’ light up on the dash?
(Mine went out at about that mileage.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom