Waking Up the LandSnoozer - A Run-of-the-Mill LS Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great looking ride. Good luck with project.
Do you know where those fender flares came from?
Follow-up: I went out and looked for some kind of marking or name. Here’s all I could find…
DBB9EB52-C672-4513-8477-221D46CD6839.jpeg
AB9FAC99-8F5B-42B1-BC18-FD83DD0B17DB.jpeg

Great looking ride. Good luck with project.
Do you know where those fender flares came from?

They are these. You can get them from Seige overland in australia

Yeah, those look original. Makes me wonder if your vehicle was imported. Afaik, those were never on NA models.

OEM ones are usually paint matched. I went down this rabbit hole last year looking for some. Unless those have been stripped of paint and primer, they are the FRP ones from australia with the black gelcoat option

Yeah, those look original. Makes me wonder if your vehicle was imported. Afaik, those were never on NA models.
Is there a way to tell (steering wheel is on the left, anyway)? It's an 88 with manual windows and locks, which I thought was odd, but recently learned that's an 88 thing.

Check your input gear splines for wear before you get too far. Highly highly recommend a long spline input gear if you aren’t planning on doing 4:1 gears.

How do the splines look?

The "splines" are on the inside bore of the (any) gear. The "teeth" are on the outside.

Gotta take the gear back off to see the splines.

Nice build, following as i want to do the same (my engine leaks from both main seals, transmission sucks, etc). What is the plan for electronics?
Thanks! Will probably go with a PSI harness and am going to do everything I can to keep the original gauges. I might even try to add in cruise control, but we'll have to see how things work out. That part feels so far off right now though...

Did a lot of work this weekend, but don't feel like I made much progress. Basically spent the weekend cleaning the engine bay, removing unnecessary pieces (e.g., carb fan) and extracting broken bolts.

Below are the after shots. Please let me know if there's anything else I can safely delete from the engine bay.

IMG_6413.JPG
IMG_6414.JPG
IMG_6415.JPG
IMG_6416.JPG

While cleaning, I also learned that my power steering lines had rusted through. Will need to source some of those...but do they need to be modified to mate with a GM power steering pump? Any advice is appreciated. Also, there seems to be a lot of play in the PS box itself - wondering if the 37 inch tires have done the PS box in.

Last question for today - I'm using the stock cross member and want to be sure the transfer case is as close to the stock position as possible. I tried fitting the transmission mount to the AA adapter and noticed the two bolts that connect the mount to the crossmember are offset, not centered. Any thoughts on of this should be offset toward the engine? Or offset towards the transfer case?

While cleaning, I also learned that my power steering lines had rusted through. Will need to source some of those...but do they need to be modified to mate with a GM power steering pump? Any advice is appreciated. Also, there seems to be a lot of play in the PS box itself - wondering if the 37 inch tires have done the PS box in.

Last question for today - I'm using the stock cross member and want to be sure the transfer case is as close to the stock position as possible. I tried fitting the transmission mount to the AA adapter and noticed the two bolts that connect the mount to the crossmember are offset, not centered. Any thoughts on of this should be offset toward the engine? Or offset towards the transfer case?
I saw this link in another thread for the PS lines FJ60 FJ62 FJ80 Power Steering Hose LS Swap — MOSLEY MOTORS - https://www.mosleymotors.com/power-steering-hose-for-ls-conversions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom