VTcruiser60's Spring Build--Much to do... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not much progress this week, aside from plowing ahead with the AISIN hub rebuilds.

I did source a 3 finger clutch kit off ebay. I plan on pulling the tranny and bellhousing off, getting them all cleaned up....Flywheel resurfaced (thanks Rabid) and clutch installed. I will do the rear main seal as well. Hopefully over the next 10 days.

You doing it this weekend? I can give you a hand dropping that out.

The wife was out of town this weekend...Got a lot of progress done on a backlog of powder coating.

PC works much better if you dip parts in an iron phosphate wash, then rinse and dry. Here is a picture of 1 of three counters covered in drying parts. She'd kill me.....giggle
counter.jpg

Very nice...ballsy...but very nice!

K, you might want to get rid of the pics before your :princess: sees them :lol:

Still trying to clear my plate of ton of AISIN hub rebuilds, but made solid progress today. I purchased a new abrasive blasting gun from tp tools and really made quick work of a backlog.

I was able to disassemble my front heater and get started on that rebuild project. I purchased one of Shane (Atlas1x on the board) heater rebuild kits some time last year...but never got around to installing. Anyway, four bolts and the heater box comes off the firewall. I then sandblasted the lower metal case and will rattle can that clean.

I then flushed the heater core with muriatic acid, several times. Even after running water through the core for 10-15 minutes, acid was still present. You can smell it. I dissolved about a half cup of baking soda in some warm water and poured that into the heater core....it effervesced, making me think it was not quite neutral yet. Flushed, neutralized, flushed....anyway...she came out nice and should be toasty for those late summer drives and fall wheeling.
heater core.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job! I put a heater hose on my utility sink and the other end on the core and let it run with cold water and then back flush and let it run...

giggle....the 4:1 Orion is on its way now from Georg Esterer (organgfj45).......

Figure I better get cracking on that bodywork.
Orion.jpg

I gots a truck full of torches, and am head your way. Answer your damn phone.

We are pulling off his rear crossmember today. Hopefully.

Ok....if you need to remove rivets.....torches are really key. The rear crossmember came off after about 30 minutes of torching the tops of the rivets off. I am glad I did this. I thought that the shackle gussets were shot, however the rear channel gussets, as well as the the last 12 inches or so of frame are also rusted out. All of this will need to be replaced....a slightly bigger job than expected but it shouldn't be too bad. Fortunately all the plating will be in hard to see places, so no one can bust me on my crap welds.

On one of the three photos my finger is pointing to the area where I'll likely cut the frame out and build new supports. The metal is not strong until this area. Oddly the passenger side is much worse than the drivers side. Perhaps it is the proximity to the exhaust that kept the rust at bay.

Many thanks to Rabid for his help this afternoon.....couldn't have done this without the assistance.
Rear_cross2.jpg
Rear_cross1.jpg
Rear_cross.jpg

Last edited:
Not cruiser related....but....

My 8 yr old has a science fair in a couple of weeks. We looked on line and found a neat plan for a solar thermal collector, shade-tree-mechanic style. We are into this for $40.....the price for 1/4 inch plate glass 30 x 50 inches in length. Pretty overcast today...but the temperature rise was still 10 degrees.....pretty slick. We pilfered a heat exchanger off the back of a fridge at the dump....all the lumber and hardware was scrap. The plate glass is held to the frame with packing tape.
solar panel.jpg
solar panel2.jpg

After a long hiatus, I finally got back into the garage this weekend. I spent a crap load of time just organizing and cleaning. In doing so, I tried to drain and refill my parts washer....spilled a crap load of solvent...losing 90 minutes to cleaning up that mess. Later when I dragged my air hose across the floor, I spilled an uncapped gallon of gear oil. There was more lost time. Sloppy....

Anyway, I got some odds and ends done, including pulling the transmission, clutch and flywheel. I snapped a bolt in the flywheel, now I WILL bother to have it turned at the machine shop and have that bolt removed.

Two questions,

Any thoughts on removing that input bearing? Its in there pretty good.

Second, ....take a look at the old clutch disc. Notice the wear spots on the springs. What misadjustment would cause this?
input bearing.jpg
disc1.jpg
disc2.jpg

leave the flywheel at my work, I will drop it off if you want.

Just did an ad for them friday. Good guys, nice machine shop.

VT engine service in williston if anyone is looking. They picked up an engine balancer a few months back and do it all really reasonably. No affiliation, just happy customer.

Thanks Bud....I have to head down to Heritage Toyota on Monday morning and will leave it in your car or truck. I appreciate the help and for the savings....:)

leave the flywheel at my work, I will drop it off if you want.

Just did an ad for them friday. Good guys, nice machine shop.

VT engine service in williston if anyone is looking. They picked up an engine balancer a few months back and do it all really reasonably. No affiliation, just happy customer.

I have a special puller for that bearing. I have heard of guys loading the hole with grease and driving a round shaft that fits tightly into the hole and it pos the bearing out

I have not touched the input bearing yet....but I did make minor progress tonight....finished up the powder-coated tcase shifter. I also finally cleaned up the garage and got the boys bike down from storage.
shifter1.jpg
shifter2.jpg

That's to pretty to wheel and get all muddy!

Finished a heater rebuild this evening using one of Shane's (Atlasx) rebuild kits. Came out pretty nice. I flushed the core several times with muriatic acid, then neutralized it with a dilution of baking soda and water. Primed and painted the heater housing with rattle can paint and reassembled. Now....I should have some nice heat for late summer wheeling!!!!!
heater1.jpg
heater2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom