VTcruiser60's Spring Build--Much to do... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a special puller for that bearing. I have heard of guys loading the hole with grease and driving a round shaft that fits tightly into the hole and it pos the bearing out

I have done this a number of times. one time I just rapped a socket extension in duct tape and it worked, not well but it worked. so if you can actually source a piece of round stock that fits tightly into the bearing itll work fine.

another solution nat and I came up with was to use a slide hammer with a hooked end on it and slowly work the hammer around the bearing.

Made solid progress rebuilding the rear frame and new cross member. I was really putting down some hot welds, several root passes before the pancakes. I am also using SEM copperweld primer...thinking that it might help me with penetration. The welder is a Hobart 187 (220V) so i have plenty of power....just short on technique.

Open to criticism or thoughts......
sat1.jpg
Sat2.jpg
sat3.jpg

And some of the bumper in progress...

The plate above the receiver hitch is meant to reinforce the bumper from a recovery. I have a nice swivel hoist ring that I want to mount but would like to have this ring mounted to a reinforced section.
sat4.jpg
sat5.jpg
sat6.jpg

Late Saturday night and Sunday....I was able to add some gussets to the rear frame in order to mount my new shackle hangers. I fabbed up some shackle hangers, boxed out the rear bumper or capped it off. Then I put a hole into the bumper to retain the stock lights. Still have to do the other side.

I also put the tub back on the frame, thanks to some help from a not to happy wife.

Then...I started to load up the tub with everything loose in the garage...wanted to get some weight in there so I could drop the jack stands and see how the springs loaded down. I need to read up on how to place these shackle hangers. I am really not sure how to do this correctly....
taillight.jpg
taillight2.jpg
shackles.jpg

People at the meeting really liked the Hubs!

Lane

Found an hour today to finish the tail light fit up.
r
I also drilled some holes to fit in the recovery point. I picked up a 360 degree swivel hoist ring on ebay. Its got a 3/4 threaded bolt that goes through the bumper. I'll tighten a nut on the backside through a new hole on the backside of the bumper.
tail light.jpg

I love those little red milwaukee grinders. Only grinder ive known to survive living in nats basement for more than a couple months!

btw looks sweet! keep her goin!

Got the swing out tire carrier set up tonight. I used 1/4 inch 2x3 box tube for the main arm. It is very heavy, but I wanted to avoid major deflection over time. I also really took my time with the welds on the spindle carrier, lots of cleaning, weld through primer, etc. The gusset is probably overkill but as I am not a professional welder, I thought to be on the safe side. The swing out arm actually rises about 1/2 inch over 4 feet. This was not intentional, but probably will work in my favor once the weight of the tire is added on.

I also fabbed up some tail light protectors. I have busted three lenses and am tired of replacing them.

Bonus steel today....while welding one of my neighbors wandered over with two pieces of box tube...some 3/16ths 2x2 and 2x3...both about 5 ft in length. He said they were left over from one of his projects and hoped I could use them. I was stoked......
swing out 1.jpg
swing out 2.jpg
swing out 3.jpg

I also got lucky tonight with paint. While at my son's lacrosse practice I chatted it up with an acquaintance that happens to own a large ass dealership in the area. I asked if I might be able to use one of their paint booths one weekend ....He was more excited with the idea than I was. Looks like I may have access to some sweet guns, a bonafide booth, etc....I need to supply the paint but something tells me this is going to work out nicely.

He asked me if I knew how to spray paint and I said I understand how to do it....but what I have going for me is a complete disregard for runs. I want good paint that will adhere nicely....not too worried about aesthetics at this point.

I am assuming Dave?

He is all about cruisers if so. He has owned a bunch, and I have personally bought a few off of him.

Nice to use someone else's paint gear. I am unavailable to help this weekend as I have friends visiting, but we should be able to stop by and throw beer cans at you if that helps.

Lucky SOB! Wish I had neighbors like that!

I think I am at a stopping point on the tire carrier. Today I fabbed up a latching system..see the picture below. It will probably work fine. However, I still need to get the tire carrier built up and I don't even have a spare tire yet. I think I might stop on the tire carrier for now. The bumper is basically done, though final wiring is needed and some groundings.

I will next turn to descaling the balance of the frame, and coating it with a rust shield product. I have some very minor sheet metal work just under the pedals to do first. These areas will be obscured by the aluminum tub, but I would rather take care of it now. Clutch, tranny and tcase still need to be installed. Then the tub can be mounted.
latch idea.jpg

got a few spares for mock up if you need them. one 33x12.5swamper on a bitchin orange rim, and a new 35.12.5 on a rock crawler. The latter is for mike's yeller one in my garage.

Looks great, but I fear the latch plate is really thin.Why the taper there?

I am not all that happy with the latch in its current form. I think it tapered down while grinding the metal. It must have heated up and bent a bit, that's all I can think of. Its not purposeful. I forgot about that spare tire...thanks.

Simple, but effective! Nice job.

Spent about 2hrs this afternoon cleaning up the frame from the cowl back. I used a wire wheel and needle scaler to do most of the work. This evening I cut out several inches of rust floor boards underneath the pedals. I then bent up a piece of 16 gauge steel and tacked in in. Most of the visible steel in the picture will be covered by the aluminum tub, but a few bolts are needed in this new area. I wanted it to be strong.

crappy cell pic....
floor board.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom