vortec advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well the old 2f is gettin pretty tired and i have started looking for a replacement. wondering if anyone has any good advice. i may be leaning towards getting a 5.3 or a 5.7 liter vortec. please let me know if the vortec is worth the extra money. thanks a lot :beer:

Well I can tell you that our Tahoe w/Vortec 5.7 will leave my P.U w/standard 5.7 in the dust even with modifications ( exhaust, K&N etc. ). I don't think you will need it in your cruiser, the standard 5.7 w/TBI makes good enough power.

Honestly, if I could do it all over again I would just go with a 350 w/tbi, the vortecs are nice once you get them dialed in but plan on spending more and dealing with certain bugs that come up along the way. I won't go into depth but all in all the tbi will end up being an easier swap. I will say once you do get the vortecs in they are fun to drive though........just depends on how much hassle you want to deal with. Things like : wiring harness, O2 sensors, reprogramming computers, etc. end up adding cost and time to the conversion.

Noah

I know some of the guys have had problems with their installations, but the end result is quite nice. I envisioned it being a three-month project, but wound up spending nine months on it. By the way, I never did any reprogramming of the computer, and have had no running problems at all. Of course, my Cruiser is smog-exempt, and has nothing that requires VSS input. I would agree with Noah, though, about a TBI being the easier way to go, and getting nearly the same results. But I do love my Vortec. ::)

I am a big fan of the Vortec engines. Sure, they are more complicated and can take more work to install correctly, but they are great engines for Cruisers. If you can get a low-mileage '96 or '97 you dont have to reprogram the computer or change the harness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom