vortec advice

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by ec130hamt, Jun 13, 2003.

1. ec130hamt

ec130hamt

well the old 2f is gettin pretty tired and i have started looking for a replacement. wondering if anyone has any good advice. i may be leaning towards getting a 5.3 or a 5.7 liter vortec. please let me know if the vortec is worth the extra money. thanks a lot :beer:

2. Erics75

Erics75

Well I can tell you that our Tahoe w/Vortec 5.7 will leave my P.U w/standard 5.7 in the dust even with modifications ( exhaust, K&N etc. ). I don't think you will need it in your cruiser, the standard 5.7 w/TBI makes good enough power.

3. 1973Guppie

1973Guppie Supporting Vendor SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Honestly, if I could do it all over again I would just go with a 350 w/tbi, the vortecs are nice once you get them dialed in but plan on spending more and dealing with certain bugs that come up along the way. I won't go into depth but all in all the tbi will end up being an easier swap. I will say once you do get the vortecs in they are fun to drive though........just depends on how much hassle you want to deal with. Things like : wiring harness, O2 sensors, reprogramming computers, etc. end up adding cost and time to the conversion.

Noah

4. Vortec_Cruiser

Vortec_Cruiser

I know some of the guys have had problems with their installations, but the end result is quite nice. I envisioned it being a three-month project, but wound up spending nine months on it. By the way, I never did any reprogramming of the computer, and have had no running problems at all. Of course, my Cruiser is smog-exempt, and has nothing that requires VSS input. I would agree with Noah, though, about a TBI being the easier way to go, and getting nearly the same results. But I do love my Vortec. ::)

5. Medusa

Medusa

I am a big fan of the Vortec engines. Sure, they are more complicated and can take more work to install correctly, but they are great engines for Cruisers. If you can get a low-mileage '96 or '97 you dont have to reprogram the computer or change the harness.

6. bodacious

bodacious

dont do it.... just a Pain in the A$$

accent of the $$$$$$ cha ching

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.