Video- Trying to start a new engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And POOR(ish):)

Pretty cool having your Dad working on that with you. He looked like he might have been enjoying it, too... backfires and all.

I had a good chuckle watching the first few misfires up in to the carb and the reactions. Mine did that twice when i first reinstalled my carb. Nearly scared the pants off me. I am enjoying watching and following you guys as you move along. I haven't bothered with a build thread but I have done a fair share of my own work on my truck. At some point maybe I will but I'd rather not jinx myself too soon.

I had a good chuckle watching the first few misfires up in to the carb and the reactions. Mine did that twice when i first reinstalled my carb. Nearly scared the pants off me. I am enjoying watching and following you guys as you move along. I haven't bothered with a build thread but I have done a fair share of my own work on my truck. At some point maybe I will but I'd rather not jinx myself too soon.
Haha, yeah it was funny the first few times and is funny to see someone freak out the first time it happens. It's really crazy how easy it is to get things wrong on these cruisers, especially for a noob like me.

Haha, yeah it was funny the first few times and is funny to see someone freak out the first time it happens. It's really crazy how easy it is to get things wrong on these cruisers, especially for a noob like me.
I'm far more clueless than you. I commend you for all that you have accomplished.

is the distributor suppose to be installed at top dead center, or at the BB right after.

EI: Right now my car is sitting perfectly on the BB, and 1st cylinder is at the top (removed plug) and removed oil cap and the valves they have the slightest movement.

*Do i really have to due two more rotations just to get back to the line :( Ive been pushing it back and forth in 4th in a garage lol

Last edited:
set the rear end on stands, and pull the plugs. keep it in gear and use the tire as a wrench. the bb is 7* before...

Here's an easy way:

1. Remove all the spark plugs
2. Tighten the alternator belt tensioner
3. Use a 19mm socket on a ratchet wrench on the power steering pulley nut to rotate the crankshaft clockwise (when looking at it from the front). Tranny in neutral of course.

Install the distributor at TDC #1 [COMPRESSION]. That's the thin line on the flywheel, not the round indent.

Both pushrods for cylinder #1 must be immovable [EDIT: LOOSE] at TDC compression. If you can [EDIT: CAN'T] jiggle the front one, it's at TDC exhaust.

If you install the distributor at TDC exhaust, the rotor will be 180° out. Engine won't run.

Last edited:
Here's an easy way:

1. Remove all the spark plugs
2. Tighten the alternator belt tensioner
3. Use a 19mm socket on a ratchet wrench on the power steering pulley nut to rotate the crankshaft clockwise (when looking at it from the front). Tranny in neutral of course.

Install the distributor at TDC #1 [COMPRESSION]. That's the thin line on the flywheel, not the round indent.

Both pushrods for cylinder #1 must be immovable at TDC compression. If you can jiggle the front one, it's at TDC exhaust.

If you install the distributor at TDC exhaust, the rotor will be 180° out. Engine won't run.

please forgive me if Im wrong...but don't you mean both pushrods must be movable (ever so slightly- more like twril-able, right?), when the engine is at TDC compression? if only the rear one is movable, then it's at TDC exhaust?
RIGHT? I am home sick, so maybe it's the fever, buuuuuut.....

Aggggg.
Did I write that? Someone must have hacked into my account!

Major brain freeze! Thanks @LAMBCRUSHER , you're correct! . I'll edit my post above. Wow

HEy, frequency increases opportunity. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom