Vibration After Installing Slee Skid Plates (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed my full set of steel skids from slee last night. I noticed that the truck has a slight vibration now. I checked all the bolts and everything is tight. I am wondering if it's the exhaust pipe. It comes very close to the belly pan like 1cm or less. No rattles or squeaks just doesn't drive as "smooth". Anyone else notice this? Any fix? I was thinking of wrapping the exhaust pipe with that heat wrap but there may not be enough room...

IMG_5324.JPG

IMG_5325.JPG

Try to determine if the vibration is speed or rpm dependent, on throttle or off throttle ect. I had something similar on a TJ when i started messing with under body configurations. It was just a random pressurization of the air moving under the vehicle.

If you really want to experiment, try putting tape over various holes on the skid to cause the air to take a different path through it. If you cover up a hole up from and the vibration persists, its likely not aero as it would be acting totally different under there.

My roof rack will make you believe every ujoint in the truck is about to come apart between 50 and 75. I say you have an air-flow type issue.

Update

Cold start this morning it sounded like there was contact somewhere. It went away when the truck warmed up but I'm thinking it is the exhaust. The other slight vibration could be the harmonics of the exhaust / airflow/ driveline noise bouncing off of the steel plates

The hum gets louder with RPMS so it's probably an airflow / harmonics thing but there is still exhaust contact with the belly pan. Mabye rubber washers in between frame and belly pan?

Last edited:
Another update

Went to a muffler shop to have a new y pipe piece welded on. They were able to cut and remove the old piece with the bellyplate in place. I got about an 1-1/2 inches now with the new piece BUT I still have the vibration during a cold start in the morning. It only happens in gear and when I'm stopped or driving until I reach 15 mph. I'm wondering if it's just harmonics but I swear I can feel something "vibrating". Funny thing is that it goes away after 5 min and doesn't return until the next mornings cold start....if something was indeed vibrating it would be constant. Anyone else have this???

You removed the big rubber-steel block that was bolted to the underside of the frame? Looked like a place to jack the truck up from.

You had to remove it to fit the skids or it was already gone. That funky big block is a sound-vibration deadener. I doubt that is what the deal is but it is possible. I removed mine when I fit SLEE skids and noticed no difference.

Cheers

My truck didn't have that block or it was removed prior to me taking ownership. I think I'm just used to the quietness of the 100. The skids changed that by blocking the driveline in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom