Vehicle tax value (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just got my registration renewal from the DMV. They value my '77 FJ40 at $21,200. Property taxes = $278.70.

How much are those antique plates per year again? Can't seem to find a price on the DMV website. I assume I can still run my "1977 plates" as long as I keep the antique plate in the truck, like with regular plates.

$10

The annual registration for my grey truck (with antique plate) is ~$82 per year.

Just got my registration renewal from the DMV. They value my '77 FJ40 at $21,200. Property taxes = $278.70.

How much are those antique plates per year again? Can't seem to find a price on the DMV website. I assume I can still run my "1977 plates" as long as I keep the antique plate in the truck, like with regular plates.

Allen, be prepared to pay the $278.70 plus the price for the tag and other associated fees (notary, etc.) at the time of renewal at the DMV. Once you get the antique tag in the mail, you will have to go online and fill out a form and submit it to the county verifying that the vehicle is indeed an antique and that you don't drive it every day or use it as a business vehicle, etc. When the county decides that they are happy with your answers and when they find time in their busy schedule, they should refund a portion of your tax payment. That's how it works here in Union County anyway. Next tax cycle and going forward, you will be on the antique plan.

As for running year of manufacture plates:
Any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person. § 20-183.2.

I pay my taxes on all my vehicles every year and then submit out of state exemption (FOR DOD) and it takes the county approximately 60 to 80 days to refund me the money. It will be fun in the next couple years when I actually have to pay the taxes for all my vehicles once I am retired and become a permanent resident of this state. I might have to sell off all my vehicles before then. haha

Allen, be prepared to pay the $278.70 plus the price for the tag and other associated fees (notary, etc.) at the time of renewal at the DMV. Once you get the antique tag in the mail, you will have to go online and fill out a form and submit it to the county verifying that the vehicle is indeed an antique and that you don't drive it every day or use it as a business vehicle, etc. When the county decides that they are happy with your answers and when they find time in their busy schedule, they should refund a portion of your tax payment. That's how it works here in Union County anyway. Next tax cycle and going forward, you will be on the antique plan.

Cool, thanks for the info!

As for running year of manufacture plates:
Any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person. § 20-183.2.

That's the rule I've been using to run my year of manufacture plates up until now. I guess there's no difference whether the "current registration plates" are regular plates or antique plates, so I should be good to go.

Went to the DMV today to renew. My taxes were still cheap (they still have it worth $800 :meh:) but since I had custom plate and tags it was going to be an extra $60 that I couldn't justify, so gave it up.

I'm going to go the year of manufacture route. If it's a 1979 NC "Farm Truck" tag I should still be ok with that correct? The way I read it was that as long as it is an NC plate, from the year it was manufactured I'm safe.

Last edited:
Check all of your tax bills this year. Orange Co NC got super aggressive with tax values on vehicles. My 2006 lx470 went from appraised value of 10k to 22k in one year. had to argue that the value was much lesser due to miles.

I bought a ford expedition from carmax for 32k. Got a tax bill a year later, and they had the truck valued at $42k. when I called and pointed it out to the tax office, the lady said "oh you must have got a good deal" and "carmax is a wholesale dealer, so you paid less than the real value." I eventually got it reduced to $28k. This year, I got my tax bill, and it was $32k... on a 4 year old truck with 83k miles on. sigh.

By the way, my tax bill on that expedition is $600 per year. no bueno.

Went to the DMV today to renew. My taxes were still cheap (they still have it worth $800 :meh:) but since I had custom plate and tags it was going to be an extra $60 that I couldn't justify, so gave it up.

I'm going to go the year of manufacture route. If it's a 1979 NC "Farm Truck" tag I should still be ok with that correct? The way I read it was that as long as it is an NC plate, from the year it was manufactured I'm safe.
I run a Farm Truck tag on one of my 40’s. Commercial on another and Commercial on the 60. It’s fine.

We're looking at relocating to NC and currently here in AZ, our '72 FJ40 has the Historic Plates and is registered as an antique/ collectors car. Would that aid us in the registration process for an antiques vehicle when we bring it to NC?

Would there be any smog testing involved?

Thanks!

North Carolina now requires only safety inspections on vehicles 20+ years (they'll also do a visual check for smog equipment). Anything newer gets the whole safety & emissions (via OBD2) package if the county requires emissions as most do. Check engine light is an auto fail unless 20+ years old. Anything 35+ years old requires no inspection of any kind.

I believe the antique tag process is fairly simple. There's been some chat about it here very recently. It will come with state-imposed limitations. Someone will speak to it here soon.

I'm not sure if you'll need to have the 40 gone over by a state inspector prior to registering it here (since it's coming from out of state) like we residents do when purchasing older vehicles from out of state because you already own it. Again, somebody here will know.

So with my 55, i called and talked to someone, who was surprisingly helpful, even more surprising that someone actually answerd the phone.
Just by calling, they 'took another look' and reduced the tax value from $22k to $9k.
I probably will just pay that to avoid having to actually go to the DMV/pay other fees and wait in line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom