VDJ200 Tundra IFS Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All

I am considering doing the IFS swap on my Diesel 200. I am concerned with the front spring rate # and front shock valving. The reason for this is that the 3UR 5.7 gas engine weighs around 485 lbs. while the 1VD 4.5 diesel weighs in a whopping 822 lbs.

Current Setup
Stock IFS

Front - OME HD Springs/shocks (they came with the used truck, I don´t have the part numbers)
Rear - OME Std shocks
Wheels - Tundra 20" wheels +60mm offset
Wheel Spacers - Spidetrax 1.25" spacers
Tires - 305/55 R20 Falken Wildpeak ATW3
Front end - Has 10K Smittybilt winch (hidden) + 1" DOM light bar

I have some minimal rub with this setup, I feel she needs some UCA´s to get her road manners back. Stiff front spings.

Intended Setup
Tundra IFS
(UCA´s, LCA´s, inner/outer tie rods, axles)
Front Springs - Coilover below come with springs, I would have to swap them out for higher spring rate?
Front Coilover - Eibach Pro 2.0 Coilovers
Rear Spring- 200 Series Eibach 1" lift
Rear Shock - 200 Series Eibach 1" lift shock
Wheels - Tundra 20" wheels +60mm offset
Wheel Spacers - Spidetrax 1.25" spacers, would run only rear with Tundra IFS
Tires - 305/55 R20 Falken Wildpeak ATW3
Front end - Has 10K Smittybilt winch (hidden) + 1" DOM light bar

Let me know what you guys think, I am looking for on road comfort with occasional offroad use. I live in Panama and we have a mix of good roads and crappy washboard roads.

LC200.jpg

It is my understanding that to do the typical "Tundra swap" you just need upper and lower control arms and CV axles from a Tundra. You can still use springs/shocks that were intended for the 200. So if your OME suspension is doing the job, you can keep it and still get the added travel of the Tundra conversion. Or if it's time to replace your front suspension, you can shop for LC200 suspension with an appropriate spring rate for the heavy VD engine. I.e. you do not need tundra coilovers.

It is my understanding that to do the typical "Tundra swap" you just need upper and lower control arms and CV axles from a Tundra. You can still use springs/shocks that were intended for the 200. So if your OME suspension is doing the job, you can keep it and still get the added travel of the Tundra conversion. Or if it's time to replace your front suspension, you can shop for LC200 suspension with an appropriate spring rate for the heavy VD engine. I.e. you do not need tundra coilovers.
I did not know this. This is key as I can just use 200 Series spec´d stuff. It would make thinks way easier.. Thanks!

Last edited:
Forgot you need the tie rods from a Tundra too.

I can confirm the lengths of the shocks are the same but I thought it was the bottom eyelet that differed but it's been a while. But you're 100% right the Tundra valves shocks/springs won't be heavy enough, they really aren't for a US spec 200 either.

I also remember reading that the lower eyelet is different, but I don't know if it's just a matter of using spacers or there are more serious issues.

A number of people that do the tundra swap use tundra coilovers, and depending on reservoir hose orientation may need to trim the upper spring bucket on the frame for clearance.

The Tundra LCA uses a lower shock mount of the same bolt dimensions as the LC, but with less clearance around the eyelet. The LC parts typically have more material around the lower eyelet of the shock than the tundras. Some LC shocks such as Bilsteins will fit the LCAs, but others like the Ironman FCP will rub on the bucket around the mount. Tundra parts are a more sure fit without have to troubleshoot any rubbing on the mount area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom