new LC200 owner with tundra swap questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, just recently picked up a 2018 LC200 base model

friend of mine has a 2020 tundra trd pro where he has the fox shocks and wheels collecting dust in the garage, so intending to take what is compatible. I read here the front shocks will swap right in (lower bushing accounted for) although these fox shocks are the ones that have the reservoir "attached" to the shock which sit right behind the wheel hub. Was wondering if anyone had experience using these on their LC and had any issues (rubbing/contact) also if they give any lift at all. I know I'll get the true answer by simply just trying it out myself. Just thought I would ask here so I know what to expect already and can prepare for it.

thanks

I have not seen anyone run the TRD Fox shocks on the 200 series. The shocks are a little longer than the 200's shocks, so make sure nothing binds at droop. (ball joints, brake lines, axles, etc)

To do it correctly you will want to do a full Tundra swap to make sure everything fits.

The Tundra has a little bit different suspension up front. The suspension arms, axles, and tie rods are ~1.75" longer than the 200 series.

All of those will swap over to the 200 series and will almost certainly allow the TRD Fox shocks to fit.

The rear shocks will be longer as well and the lower mounting on the axle is different than the 200 series. I'm not sure if you would be able to make them work without changing the lower shock mount. This is due to where the reservoir is placed on the shock body, it needs to face towards the front of the vehicle. If you bolt them on to the 200, the reservoir will be facing inboard or outboard.

The wheels will fit fine.

I dont think Im in the market nor do I wanna commit to do the whole swap

being a rookie in suspension geometry, with the tundra shocks being longer, could that possibly give me the heritage oem lift? then I can skip on the spacers

thanks for the input

I ran the (front) TRD Pro Bilsteins and a full Tundra swap for years. If you were able to get them in there somehow without the swap, I’d imagine you’d have to do some big bump stop spacers and you’d have a ton of lift to deal with. Rears are not appropriate or worth the effort to swap IMO. Just put a nice shock back there. I ran BP51’s because they are super adjustable and finding a balanced setup was achievable.

I dont think Im in the market nor do I wanna commit to do the whole swap

being a rookie in suspension geometry, with the tundra shocks being longer, could that possibly give me the heritage oem lift? then I can skip on the spacers

thanks for the input
There is no "heritage OEM lift". HE has the exact same front suspension as a similar year base model, and 2-row HEs got a lighter duty rear coil, which still ended up being a little bit taller in the rear than 3-row base models.

I'd be very careful with tundra struts in front on factory arms. 1" of additional shock travel, translating to ~2" at the wheel, seems to be about the limit of what the CVs will tolerate. You'd nearly double this droop gain..

about to really how little I know.....

lets say the fronts do indeed fit without any issues and give a 2" lift. Would I not be in the same ballpark with any other coilover kit that offers a 2" lift? or even the spacer kit from westcott that offers 3"

I also didn't stress what @use2bn83 said about bump stops.. those shocks being longer means they may run out of travel before your suspension arms hit the bump stops, which is -really- bad for things.

So no, IMO you wouldn't be in the same ballpark because you'd be running shocks that are a big set of compromises compared to something built to run on a 200. Plus, you still would have to run something in the back because the tundra parts just aren't compatible.

Also IMO, westcott is a huge band-aid. Yes some people run them (keeping in mind there is a vast range in what is acceptable in quality of ride not to mention safety), but you are increasing the CoG without any additional spring rate or damping, and into an area where aftermarket UCAs are advised to get the front suspension geometry correct.. westcott claims, against all other respected advice, they aren't necessary.

The wheels won't even work as 2022 Tundra is 6-lug.

I know it seems convenient and maybe a waste to have all that stuff sitting there, but I think you are better off sourcing 200-specific stuff widely regarded as the right way to do things. All this stuff isn't that.

I also didn't stress what @use2bn83 said about bump stops.. those shocks being longer means they may run out of travel before your suspension arms hit the bump stops, which is -really- bad for things.

So no, IMO you wouldn't be in the same ballpark because you'd be running shocks that are a big set of compromises compared to something built to run on a 200. Plus, you still would have to run something in the back because the tundra parts just aren't compatible.

Also IMO, westcott is a huge band-aid. Yes some people run them (keeping in mind there is a vast range in what is acceptable in quality of ride not to mention safety), but you are increasing the CoG without any additional spring rate or damping, and into an area where aftermarket UCAs are advised to get the front suspension geometry correct.. westcott claims, against all other respected advice, they aren't necessary.

I know it seems convenient and maybe a waste to have all that stuff sitting there, but I think you are better off sourcing 200-specific stuff widely regarded as the right way to do things. All this stuff isn't that.
i think half of me somewhat knew this before starting the thread and the other half was hoping someone would chime in claiming "yah ive been running this setup for years.....smooth as butter"

ill probably try selling the whole setup then use that cash for something proper. Although while I have them I might put one corner on just to kill my curiosity.

thanks for the info guys. While I thought maybe I had literal steal of a setup, you guys saved me thousands in money and time

Just pointing out that these parts are for a 2020 Tundra, so the wheels will fit.

Also @1aSTIg1 if you could get measurements off the shocks that would be great.

Center of the lower mounting eye to the top of the strut mount.
Collapsed length would be good too, but will require the spring to be removed.

Just pointing out that these parts are for a 2020 Tundra, so the wheels will fit.

Thanks for the correction.. dunno how I read 2022.

Also @1aSTIg1 if you could get measurements off the shocks that would be great.

Center of the lower mounting eye to the top of the strut mount.
Collapsed length would be good too, but will require the spring to be removed.
will do, Im curious myself anyways

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom