vapor lock??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'87 fj60, runs great allllll day. if i turn it off for 20-30 minutes and get back in...its hard to start. also, i notice when i loosen the gas cap, gas & fumes come sprayin out at me. i popped the passenger/inside 1/4 panel off, and checked all the hoses, and that "lil black thingy" (where all the hoses connect to), but all looked fine.
buddy told me it could be up by the charcoal canister, up by fuel pump. i checked the (3) hoses that were connected to the top. both smaller hoses were fine, but the thicker hose (approx 2" long) had a small weep hole in it. does any of this sound familiar? sorry for the long example...-other sean

Last edited:
Does sound like vapor lock, but those hoses do not sound familiar. I'd go shotgun and start cleaning the simplest things first. Hoses and filters. Then address the money items like vapor recirulation components.

Is your carb cooling fan working?

Your syptoms sound like mine did- my problem was a fuel pump on the way out.

Doc said:
Is your carb cooling fan working?

Your syptoms sound like mine did- my problem was a fuel pump on the way out.

well, my carb fan WAS working. that was the 1st thing i checked. when i wiggled the wires, it would cut off and on. i took the wire comming from the block to the carb fan off, and will have it replaced later today. i hope its just my carb fan shorting in/out, causing my carb to overheat...ie: vapor lock.
as far as the fuel pump...i had just replaced it last year.

follow up

so...end result (i hope). i changed out the ground wire from the block to the carb fan. now i have fan!!! i also changed out my fuel cap, and WALLA...no more hesitation/fuel-splash-back. i havent driven it much to really find out if these were the problems, but as of right now, its seems to run fine. i mustve damaged the fuel cap when i ran Spring Creek, CO trail, and it wasnt venting correctly. we have a cool front commin to CO, so once it gets warmer outside, ill check my symptoms again. thanks for all the help!!! -other sean

nuclearlemon said:
sweet...glad it's better.

thanks Iggy. w/out talking to you, i wouldnt have even thought about my gas cap. any fix for $5, is kik ass to me!!! -other sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom