Valves again.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 67 FJ40 with an F block and 2F head...Recently had head done and have had help adjusting valves...I can't find TDC mark on fly wheel is there anyway to adjust them without the mark...The only thing on flywheel I can find is a square and the needle and notch but no BB or or line..

Here's how I find TDC solo. With rig parked on a concrete slab, put it in highest available gear (3rd or 4th), then slowly rock vehicle forward. Flywheel will appear to move clockwise. First you will see the big notch. Then the bb and almost immediately after will be what I believe to be the TDC line. I did use small brass wire brush to clean it up. Also used a gold pen to mark it.
Here's photo's in order they appear on my F when rocked slowly forward:
IMG_3237.JPG

IMG_3239.JPG

IMG_3238.JPG

Last edited:
You don't really need to use TDC, either the valves are open or they are closed.

No stabbing distributor...I had head done and since then I have a very noisy valve..Im just trying to make sure I'm doing it correctly but all the marks everyone says they have don't exist or I'm not seeing until bigredrocker pointed out maybe it's just to dirty to see..My question rkymtnflyfisher is if it doesn't have to be TDC what best way to make sure valve is totally open or closed?

Once the rocker arm is loose the valve is closed, unless they are adjusted too tight already. Rotate the engine and watch the valves, when they open and when they close. You should be able to check half of them at a time.

I have good compression I can hear the compression on 1#.When half are opened and half are closed do they have a sequence to adjust or just check the gap adjust and move to the next depending on intake and exhaust? Is it better to do hot or cold and what about once adjusted do I have to do the 1/4 turn back?

Do you have a FSM?

Factoty Service Manual.

If not do a search for a FSM for a hell of a price.

Also browse the FAQ section up top, your answers lie within.

Factory manual is your friend here. Set engine to TDC compression stroke (line not the BB). With engine warm and shut off, adjust all closed valves. Rotate engine around until on the line again and adjust the rest of the closed valves.

If you have a 46mm socket you can use it on a ratchet or breaker bar to rotate the harmonic balancer. You can also remove the lower flywheel cover and turn the flywheel by hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom