Valve adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would any of you cruiser heads be willing to either help me on my fj40 or show me on yours, how to do a valve adjustment . I've read all of the posts on adjusting valves in the FAQ section but I'm more of a visual guy. I could take it to my local shop but the reason I like LC's is you can work on them yourself, once you know how. I'm in San Ramon California . Thank you for your time.........

If you don't find someone near to stop by, it's not all that difficult.
Which part of the process do you not feel comfortable with or understand?
1. Removing valve cover?
2. Rotating engine by hand and finding TDC?
3. Actual valve adjust and using a feeler gauge?
Help online here is plentiful. We can talk ya through it.
This is the guide I found most useful.

Valve Adjust.jpg

You would be wise to learn how to do it yourself because they require adjusting constantly if you drive a lot. At least that what I experienced in the past. It was one of the top reasons I converted to SBC, hydraulic lifters are the cure for eliminating a clattering valve train, drove me nuts.

You would be wise to learn how to do it yourself because they require adjusting constantly if you drive a lot. At least that what I experienced in the past. It was one of the top reasons I converted to SBC, hydraulic lifters are the cure for eliminating a clattering valve train, drove me nuts.

After a while (decades) you simply loose the ability to hear that valve train sound frequency, that's when 2F's sound great. Seriously, I adjust mine when I change plugs. Pull the cover and cap to the dizzy and I rock the motor to TDC with the truck in 4th in the drive way ... adjust the closed valves... then rock it one more turn and adjust the other 6 and seal her up.

After a while (decades) you simply loose the ability to hear that valve train sound frequency, that's when 2F's sound great. Seriously, I adjust mine when I change plugs. Pull the cover and cap to the dizzy and I rock the motor to TDC with the truck in 4th in the drive way ... adjust the closed valves... then rock it one more turn and adjust the other 6 and seal her up.
for me this would be the hardest part. rotating the motor. isnt there a hand crank like old rovers have that would make this easier ?
otherwise 4th gear and push it in the driveway with a keen eye on the bellhouing window?

for me this would be the hardest part. rotating the motor. isnt there a hand crank like old rovers have that would make this easier ?
otherwise 4th gear and push it in the driveway with a keen eye on the bellhouing window?

you can remove the clutch/bellhousing cover and use a pry bar or big screwdriver and spin the flywheel and watching the front side of the flywheel, you'll see the BB go by and do it that way.

not the best but it will work

I rock the truck with the plugs removed and the truck in 4th (H42 here) and the engine rolls over surprisingly easy. Once I’ve finished the valve adjustments I finish the tune up by adding the new plugs

you can remove the clutch/bellhousing cover and use a pry bar or big screwdriver and spin the flywheel and watching the front side of the flywheel, you'll see the BB go by and do it that way.

not the best but it will work
I fabricated this and worked well. I’m able to slide it under the radiator and engage the crank. I have a winch so I had to make it 11”

81C3B631-9D28-4507-BD0E-AA8DC9957BBE.jpeg

54962A2F-B1EA-4A70-880A-C2E034ABA15A.jpeg

What does “seal her up” require
Is the gasket a floppy reusable rubber one ? Do you need to add any silicone?
Cheers

If you don't find someone near to stop by, it's not all that difficult.
Which part of the process do you not feel comfortable with or understand?
1. Removing valve cover?
2. Rotating engine by hand and finding TDC?
3. Actual valve adjust and using a feeler gauge?
Help online here is plentiful. We can talk ya through it.
This is the guide I found most useful.

View attachment 1950576
Thanks, Perfect Printable Instructions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom