Valley Plate Coolant Leaking (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1691103132883.png

So not seeing anything pink on rear bell housing area?

That would be a pretty quick boil off to not see something on the back of motor.

Have you checked your oil for any coolant contamination?

Stock radiator cap?

And nothing on the driveway/garage from overnight??

That's a pretty quick drain. If it is that much there has to be a sign of the serious leak somewhere... are you able to get it on a lift?

Currently I have it on a lift and I am using a endoscope to take images, I have not found anything yet but anticipate finding something as you guys mentioned. And no I have not seen any actual leaks in the floor or anything. I'll post back with updates today, thank you so much for being apart of the post.

I am wondering out of ignorance if this is normal behavior for the res since it's not the actual storage from what I know but instead like an overflow container of sorts... But I know little to nothing in this.
I am assuming all of the coolant is elsewhere within the system or it goes into the res as needed all depending. Again I have no clue.

Definitely looking and pulling covers and other items off to get a better look.

Are you monitoring where it is at on a cold start?

I actually have mine on F so easy to eye if there is an issue. Never goes below that only up as things warm up and then back down to F.

If you are filling up to F line as your other post stated and it is still dropping it is going somewhere. Was coolant recently changed?

I am so upset over this 😠

I don't think this is something I can do myself. I am technical enough to have done all of front IM4x4 bumper, and king shocks, ucas, brake lines etc.

I am not sure if I should repair this myself or pay someone.

My bigger issue is that I am wondering how big of an issue this is and how long it's been like this. If it's been like this for over 30k miles or 60k or from the previous owner absolutely haunts me to think this. This is what I am most concerned about that if this is the case how bad has it caused damage or issues to my engine?

I'll post more photos
For those of you wanting to know if this could be you, take a endo scope and place it the same area I did and spend a thorough thorough time looking around I spent over 2hrs looking everywhere.

Look I'm the photo to see where I dipped mine down after taking the engine cover off.

Screenshot_2023-08-04-17-49-58-12_f916e57795d064f1a330c189f688bab4.jpg

Screenshot_2023-08-04-17-50-06-00_f916e57795d064f1a330c189f688bab4.jpg

Screenshot_2023-08-04-17-50-49-67_f916e57795d064f1a330c189f688bab4.jpg

Screenshot_2023-08-04-17-50-55-02_f916e57795d064f1a330c189f688bab4.jpg

IMG20230804165340.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: r2m
Keep your head up. It is totally a diy, if you have some wrenching experience, which it seems like you do. I did mine earlier this year and it took two long days over a weekend. I recruited a trusted friend that has worked on cars with me before that is equally organized.

At the end of the day it is just a process and a little bit of a puzzle. The valley plate sealing portion of the process was actually one of the least frustrating parts. We had a lot of issues getting the plastic cover covering the wiring harness off the back of the intake manifold as well as getting the egr cooler back in its location underneath the intake manifold and the back passenger side intake manifold nut was a pain.

Other than that, order all the parts listed in this thread and read it multiple times before you start the process and have it up on your phone or tablet to reference.

Oh and probably 3-4 hours of the 16 doing this project were spent cleaning up all the dried coolant left behind, mine was an absolute mess!

I’m not an expert, but I would say the truck is absolutely fine as long as it has not overheated. As I stated above, mine was everywhere.

Bummer man. I feel for you. My coolant valley leak wasn't nearly as bad before I got it fixed.

Keep your head up. It is totally a diy, if you have some wrenching experience, which it seems like you do. I did mine earlier this year and it took two long days over a weekend. I recruited a trusted friend that has worked on cars with me before that is equally organized.

At the end of the day it is just a process and a little bit of a puzzle. The valley plate sealing portion of the process was actually one of the least frustrating parts. We had a lot of issues getting the plastic cover covering the wiring harness off the back of the intake manifold as well as getting the egr cooler back in its location underneath the intake manifold and the back passenger side intake manifold nut was a pain.

Other than that, order all the parts listed in this thread and read it multiple times before you start the process and have it up on your phone or tablet to reference.

Oh and probably 3-4 hours of the 16 doing this project were spent cleaning up all the dried coolant left behind, mine was an absolute mess!

I’m not an expert, but I would say the truck is absolutely fine as long as it has not overheated. As I stated above, mine was everywhere.
Having never done it myself, but reading a lot of fellow MUDDer's about it, and correct, it has read to be pretty easy. The only tricky part is one or two bolts in the back of the engine, or related to that (can't recall exactly what). Do a quick search on that. Those bolts posed quite a headache, but someone posted an easy way to to get to them.
I hope they see my post and respond to this detailing how they did it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom