Vacuum Shift/Floor Shift Kits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think all you need is the lever and the bits on the t-case, it all should bolt right up, give James at Cruiserparts a ring, I bet he has the stuff you need.

John

You might also try Landcruiserparts, email: Viccin@centurytel.net
They're good folks to deal with, and they don't ream you on shipping.
HTH
Ed Long

All you need is the top plate with the manual shift linkage. I would search around for a parts truck or someone's old t-case. pretty sure 3 spd and 4 spd top plates and linkage will work.

I did mine not that long ago. There are a number of linkage parts but if you look at it long enough you will see how they all fit together.

The parts to convert the TC shifter can be a little expensive but if you look around you will find a deal.

Best way to get floor shift is to buy a used 3 spd and have the seller remove the top plate and shifter and send them. Them throw the rest away! WHy convert from vac shift on the case? It works great and almost never breaks down. Less to go wrong than direct shift. Just replace the hoses and go. I would go with Land Cruiser Parts if you want to get rid of it. Vic is a good guy

My '70 had the vacuum shift and I used 2Lo a bunch of times. Bear in mind you cannot disengage the front end without the engine running--need vacuum in both directions.

I put 150,000 miles on my '71 FJ40 and never had any problems with the vac shift - and they DON"T RATTLE.

The cool factor may be the real issue, eh?

Mike S

[quote author=Mike S link=board=1;threadid=6575;start=msg53968#msg53968 date=1066866363]
I put 150,000 miles on my '71 FJ40 and never had any problems with the vac shift - and they DON"T RATTLE.

The cool factor may be the real issue, eh?

Mike S
[/quote]
I don't know man, vac shift is pretty cool in the sense that not many trucks have it anymore. Other than 62's.

Forgot about the 2 low! even more reason to keep it.

CruisinGA:

Yup. Cool is old original s**t that works. Some of the new stuff ain't better, just different.

MS

I have a complete vac setup that I took off of my '68 FJ-40 if anyone wants to make me an offer.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=6575;start=msg53485#msg53485 date=1066782653]
All you need is the top plate with the manual shift linkage. I would search around for a parts truck or someone's old t-case. pretty sure 3 spd and 4 spd top plates and linkage will work.
[/quote]
I don't like to rain on anyone's parade but the top plate of the transfer cases are different for 3 speed and 4 speed (shift dog is 90 deg. different between 3 speed and 4 speed), and the top plate does NOT enter the equation on vacuum shift. The vacuum part is on the transfer front extension housing. Top plate shifts between hi/lo and the front extension housing shifts between 2wd and 4wd. The front extension housing shifters are also different. The three speed one is shorter than the 4 speed one.
I have all the parts (except shift knob) for the 3 speed transfer floor shift if someone needs it.

No feelings hurt, my bad. I had my facts wrong. Guess I was mixed up between 3 spd tranny column to floor shift and 3 spd t-case vacuum to manual linkage. :doh: :slap: I'm kinda suprised David didn't catch my mistake, he tends to be apt to correct my unfortunatly somewhat numerous mistakes. :flipoff2: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom