V8 Swap Log - 60's with V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What are others using for a speed sensor with a GM V8? What worked...total configuration.

Well, that question depends on what engine/PCM and auto/manual. With the auto you need a VSS for shift points but with a manual transmission the GM PCM’s (the LS/Vortec one’s anyways) just need to know the vehicle is moving.
I’m using one of the ABS sensors on my rear FZJ80 axle as a VSS. Free and works perfectly.

my truck has a manual toyota 5 speed. the 5.7 vortec is programmed as a 97 year model and runs a 1997 GM ECM. I would have to go back and look but I believe the ECM was looking for some specific / signal (which I don't recall right off hand). I do know the truck will not run right without a VSS (counter to what some have said in the past) don't know if you can program that out of the ECM or not. But if you don't have a VSS in the configuration I have the truck will die at a stop, and makes far less power . Based on my memory the ECM needs to understand how fast the truck is moving....not just that it is moving, if the signal that is generated is wrong the ECM does not interpret the speed correctly. I know the ECM at present is getting a correct speed reading from the sensor itself but thats thrown off by the size of the tires. I may have had 31inch tires when I first had the ECM setup/programmed, I'n not really concerned about the minor difference in speed from ECM to reality. Just wondering if there were other confirmed options that work in same configuration as I have. I realize that as time moves forward, there will be fewer guys with 5.7 and most will have a 5.3 or 6.0. and likely an automatic transmission.

Yup, mine did the same thing (stalling on deceleration). Connected the unused VSS plug on my egnine harness to the Toyota ABS sensor on my rear axle (both GM and Toyota use two-wire sin-wave sensors) and my problem was instantly fixed. It just needs to know that it's moving. I know this and this has been known outside of Cruiser world for years. The automatic transmission is a different story and the correct toothed wheel and VSS is required for that.

Yup, mine did the same thing (stalling on deceleration). Connected the unused VSS plug on my egnine harness to the Toyota ABS sensor on my rear axle (both GM and Toyota use two-wire sin-wave sensors) and my problem was instantly fixed. It just needs to know that it's moving. I know this and this has been known outside of Cruiser world for years. The automatic transmission is a different story and the correct toothed wheel and VSS is required for that.
I learned something new today.....🍻

See the above link for what I run on my truck, back in the day this was sold directly by downey when I bought what I have. FYI others may have an interest.

Well, that question depends on what engine/PCM and auto/manual. With the auto you need a VSS for shift points but with a manual transmission the GM PCM’s (the LS/Vortec one’s anyways) just need to know the vehicle is moving.
I’m using one of the ABS sensors on my rear FZJ80 axle as a VSS. Free and works perfectly.

So how do the rear brakes work (perform) on the FZJ80 axle in comparison to the stock drums ? Also how effective is the parking brake and how much of a challenge to incorporate the parking brake cable...from the 80 axle to the 60 hand operated parking brake lever?

I’ll add my limited experience just as another data point

82 FJ60
1999 LM7, cable TB, ls1 heads and cam, flat top pistons
Ranger OD, H41, splitcase
Stock rad w/ contour fans

Don’t have ac yet so disregard that and I don’t have a scan tool to see ecm recorded temps but by the stock gauge it runs about 1/3 up to 1/2 in 90 degrees/low humidity.

Regarding the VSS, I made a bracket that sits the sensor next to t case output flange to count the lobes (early rectangular flange). I have no stalling issues. I plan on using the t case brake rotor as a reluctor wheel when I get around to installing that.

So how do the rear brakes work (perform) on the FZJ80 axle in comparison to the stock drums ? Also how effective is the parking brake and how much of a challenge to incorporate the parking brake cable...from the 80 axle to the 60 hand operated parking brake lever?

My big reason for the axle was swap was width and Full-float. The parking brake is definitely not as powerful as the 60’s, but when adjusted probably does work well enough.
Parking cable couldn’t be easier. Just install the whole 80 cable and it bolts right up the 60 handle in the cabin.

I used the one from JTR thats listed above with my LS/NV4500 sawp and it works great.

I used the one from JTR thats listed above with my LS/NV4500 sawp and it works great.
How long ago did you purchase the vss thing from JTR the guy that was making iy passed away and his brother is trying to keep it going but he really doesn't know what he is doing and he is a little flakey purchased one and had to get a refund was months waiting and he pretty much forgot about it so i came up with a different solution.

I liked this idea that I found here and will incorporate it with my transfercase parking brake.
34E4FA4B-60CD-4536-91E0-70370097AD3E.jpeg

How long ago did you purchase the vss thing from JTR the guy that was making iy passed away and his brother is trying to keep it going but he really doesn't know what he is doing and he is a little flakey purchased one and had to get a refund was months waiting and he pretty much forgot about it so i came up with a different solution.
2 years ago

see post # 353 and some follow on posts about some alternator connectors that might be helpful to the GM V8 swap crew.

Like I was saying, with a manual transmission the VSS just needs to see some kind of pulse. Whatever’s easiest.

talking about the alternator, not the vss, in the post above.

Elbert using Marks adapter, RredFJ40 is using A RangerOD. What is everyone else using with Toyota trans/TC, and what are your thoughts as it relates to this thread?

Thanks for putting this up, I'm following closely. Upcoming V8 swap, reading all I can...
Plans are:
Old school 350, Qjet, HEI, (already on a stand in my garage) no computers for me, keeping it as simple, reliable and trail-repairable as absolutely possible.
my stock H42, my splitcase re-geared 4:1 LR (which gives a 10% underdrive in HR)
Ranger OD as an adapter
my stock 3.7 gears, on 33's.
My existing New copper/brass stock replacement radiator w/GM fan and clutch, I'll fab a rad shroud.
GM compressor, retaining all the rest of the stock AC system.
GM PS pump.
I have a front stack from a Vortec 5.7, so I'd like to go with the serpentine setup if I can sort it out and fit that WP/clutch and fan behind my radiator.

That's my plan anyway...

Thanks all.

Elbert using Marks adapter, RredFJ40 is using A RangerOD. What is everyone else using with Toyota trans/TC, and what are your thoughts as it relates to this thread?

Thanks for putting this up, I'm following closely. Upcoming V8 swap, reading all I can...
Plans are:
Old school 350, Qjet, HEI, (already on a stand in my garage) no computers for me, keeping it as simple, reliable and trail-repairable as absolutely possible.
my stock H42, my splitcase re-geared 4:1 LR (which gives a 10% underdrive in HR)
Ranger OD as an adapter
my stock 3.7 gears, on 33's.
My existing New copper/brass stock replacement radiator w/GM fan and clutch, I'll fab a rad shroud.
GM compressor, retaining all the rest of the stock AC system.
GM PS pump.
I have a front stack from a Vortec 5.7, so I'd like to go with the serpentine setup if I can sort it out and fit that WP/clutch and fan behind my radiator.

That's my plan anyway...

Thanks all.

Your gearing and and driveline setup and numbers should be great. I don’t know why anyone would choose to use a SBC and a carburetor on purpose for a swap these days though. Why not just buy a $250 4.8 or 5.3?
EFI is easy, proven, and worth it.

Your gearing and and driveline setup and numbers should be great. I don’t know why anyone would choose to use a SBC and a carburetor on purpose for a swap these days though. Why not just buy a $250 4.8 or 5.3?
EFI is easy, proven, and worth it.

Still about a 500$ difference in swapping the two together, all fuel related costs... penny pinchers are putting a 5.7 in

Also 5.7 is gonna have more low end than the LS brothers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom