V8 Swap Log - 60's with V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your gearing and and driveline setup and numbers should be great. I don’t know why anyone would choose to use a SBC and a carburetor on purpose for a swap these days though. Why not just buy a $250 4.8 or 5.3?
EFI is easy, proven, and worth it.

Why SBC and carburetor? For me anyway, simplicity. One wire to the distributor, and one fuel line to a carburetor and it runs. In my mind, that advantage far outweighs anything I could gain from an LS. Call me crazy, I may be...

Why SBC and carburetor? For me anyway, simplicity. One wire to the distributor, and one fuel line to a carburetor and it runs. In my mind, that advantage far outweighs anything I could gain from an LS. Call me crazy, I may be...

Power, weight, longevity, oil leaks, etc

This sounds like too much effort for something that doesn't warrant it.

What air filter did you use. I’ve checked a couple but they were small inlet—-3-3 1/2 inch. Pretty restrictive for the LS

I copied the setup @NCFJ did on one of his shop builds
It's the FJ62 air canister, I lobbed the neck off it and welded a bead around so a 4" 90-degree hose clamps on. I have been wanting to open up the inlet on it to 4" or so (it's like 2.5") just haven't gotten around to it. The whole thing is probably pretty restrictive, but the big steel canister is pretty cool. Seems to run the same with or without the filter element in it.

Here's a pic from when it was fresh. It's much dirtier now :)

5D83C751-F226-4B05-AA87-75B3C71BAA13.jpeg

I copied the setup @NCFJ did on one of his shop builds
It's the FJ62 air canister, I lobbed the neck off it and welded a bead around so a 4" 90-degree hose clamps on. I have been wanting to open up the inlet on it to 4" or so (it's like 2.5") just haven't gotten around to it. The whole thing is probably pretty restrictive, but the big steel canister is pretty cool. Seems to run the same with or without the filter element in it.

Here's a pic from when it was fresh. It's much dirtier now :)

View attachment 2107679
Check out my insta gram i used the 62 box and sized up the inlet used a peice of mandrel bent diesel exhaust tubing into the round hole in the fender worked great and you have fab skills so your all good. On another swap i did we used a k/n style big cone air filter then the owner put the 62 air box in with a reducer and stock size inlet he said he could tell a difference in power by going with the 62 box next one i will more than likely go full custom air box instead of hacking up the 62 air box.

Check out my insta gram i used the 62 box and sized up the inlet used a peice of mandrel bent diesel exhaust tubing into the round hole in the fender worked great and you have fab skills so your all good. On another swap i did we used a k/n style big cone air filter then the owner put the 62 air box in with a reducer and stock size inlet he said he could tell a difference in power by going with the 62 box next one i will more than likely go full custom air box instead of hacking up the 62 air box.

yeah, I've seen it and got it saved in my "ideas" folder. I just need to get around to it like the hundred other small projects

If I were to do a swap tomorrow it would be a 5.3 or 6.0 gm gas engine with the matching gm automatic transmission. I too waivered on going carb, and its not a bad choice depending on how/where you drive your truck. I would think a carb would suck on the trails at times though. There are some additional aftermarket fuel injection setups too. But overall I think you are better served to run the stock fuel injection setup off the GM engine of your choice. I only ran the marks adapter, because at the time I wanted a manual trans and took the easy way out, or it was the choice at the time. I'm not a big fan of the mark's adapter...but it is a proven choice that does work.

Thanks for the info!

I have a marks adapter in my built sbc that a po installed. I daily drive 25 miles each way to Austin. I have only smiles per gallon and a very basic computer. If I do my own swap, it will most likely be a 4bt. The sbc has no leaks and has been dependable as hell with a tbi injection in heavy traffic commute as well as cross country travel. Next up a Marlin crawler toybox 😁 because someone already did the v8 swap lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom