Using vintage license plates (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have Antique Auto plates on my '71 which in Maine means that I don't need to get it inspected. I'm not sure exactly what the stipulations are, but I don't think you're supposed to use a vehicle with antique plates as a daily driver, although I doubt that it's enforced.
Anyway, my question is whether any of you use the plates from the vintage of your Cruiser? I found some plates on ebay from the same era as mine, and I'd like to use them. I plan on contacting the DMV next week to ask, but was wondering if any of you are using vintage plates? :beer:
$(KGrHqF,!lsE1F2hur4BBNeUCuB8,!~~0_12.JPG
$(KGrHqF,!lsE1F2hur4BBNeUCuB8,!~~0_12.JPG

well in Texas you have to use a plate dated the same as the year of the vehicle... I did the plate they issue cause a 82 plate is ugly ....that plate looks cool

Last edited:
In Indiana you can run a year of manufacture plate if you have a historical vehicle plate. You also need to have an antique vehicle inspection done and carry both the paper work and the historical plate in the rig at all times. I have a 1969 plate on my 1969.

In FL the plate also has to be the same year as the vehicle and older then 1977. It also has to be an original FL license plate, cannot be restored or to rusty. To rusty is a judgment call by the official reviewing the plate. I am going to look for a 1962 Florida plate for mine, but do not want to spend much money for one.

In Indiana you can run a year of manufacture plate if you have a historical vehicle plate. You also need to have an antique vehicle inspection done and carry both the paper work and the historical plate in the rig at all times. I have a 1969 plate on my 1969.

Ohio is basically the same except for an inspection of the vehicle. There are restrictions of use. Daily driver is suppose to be a no-no, but it doesn't appear to be heavily enforced. Basically, you're supposed to be allowed to go to & from events, parades, shows, meetings, 4wheeling. Tags are good for like 50 yrs w/a 1 regisration fee time of aprox $25.

The tags can't be made up. I shopped around @ various antique shops & car shows to find my 1972 plates that were in good shape, w/ intresting #'s.

Last edited:
I'm running vintage '71 Virginia plates on my '71. It sounds like it is the same as Maine, you don't have to get your truck inspected annually. Bought the plates for around $45 on ebay and took them to DMV and paid a one time fee of $13.50 to have them registered to my 40 for as long as I own it. Beats paying their yearly fee. I do go ahead and and run it thru inspection once a year even though I don't have to just to give the police one less reason to pull me over. You're not suppose to use it as a daily driver but you can drive it all you want on weekends and any club event. I have driven to work during the week and never had any issues with the police.

I bought a brand new set of plates from that timeframe for my '77, and the guy supplied the 1977 stickers for them. It's a good look!

5628354830_72eb3d3417.jpg

;)

Last edited:
Cool. Looks like I'll be putting some old plates on. The new plates just don't look right on there. :cheers:

I run vintage plates, and have never gotten any trouble from police officers.

In Montana if it's 10 years old or older, you can buy permenant plates and never register it again, so no need for the vintage plates. No inspecrions required as well.

Antique is the way to go...

My 7/69 is registered antique in TX and i bought a set of '69 plates off of Ebay. IN TX, you have to have both plates mounted as well which is not the case in all states.

I think it looks pretty good since mine is fairly stock and plain...just like the license plates that year.
FJ40 Plates.jpg

So I just heard from a guy at the DMV. In Maine, all you have to do is register with the current antique auto plates, but you can display the vintage plates. Easy! :beer:

For those of you in S.C.

From S.C. DMV

To obtain an antique license plate, your current title must be surrendered and the department will issue a new title marked Antique. The fee for a new title is $15.00. To qualify for an antique license plate, the automobile or motorcycle must be at least 25 years old. The vehicle is to be used in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades and similar events, but shall not be used for general transportation. When the vehicle is sold, junked, or otherwise disposed of, you must surrender the antique license plate to the department. The fee for the plate is $10.00
antique17.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom