Using vintage license plates (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also for those in SC I am in the process of applying for year of manufacture License.

Beginning April, 2007 owners of certain motor vehicles thirty years old or older can apply to the Department to use a license plate issued by this State in the year corresponding to the model year of the vehicle. Upon approval, these “Year of Manufacture” plates will be used on the vehicle as a regular license plate. These plates can only be used on automobiles and light trucks with a GVW of 11,000 lbs. or less and an empty weight of 9,000 lbs. or less.

I have the original black california licensce plates on my '69 which were made from 1964-1969, 1970-82 was blue, and 83- are white.

I have the original black california licensce plates on my '69 which were made from 1964-1969, 1970-82 was blue, and 83- are white.

Those black and then the blue ones were cool, the later ones were too eighties for my taste.

I bought this on EBAY last week. Not sure why. I live in Kansas and my pig is a 72. Just thought it was cool......
old tag.jpg

I'm sure theres a pig owner drooling over that one already! I found some classic 72 tags on ebay. 72's were black tags with white letters. I bought one that I'm probably going to run. Word of caution for the S.C. guys, if your going to get a year of manufacture plate you have to call the dmv and give them the plate number to make sure it's not in service first. Once they determine the number is available they reserve the number while you submit the paperwork. I had to check about 5 plates before I found one I could use.

In Oklahoma, you can use Vintage plates if the number is availible and it is true to the year in color, etc. So I called the tax commission to verify the plate I wanted was availible and the year and color was right, then I ordered the reproduction from Lincenseplate.tv and then applied for the vintage decal for $20. The small decal goes up front in the windsheild. My FJ is a 1978 made in Dec. of 1978 with some parts from the 1979 years including the rear jump seat legs and defroster up front. So I ordered 1979 year plates since that is the year it would have been registered. My Plates read "FJ40-78". I also ordered the year plate for the factory plate mount up front.
024.jpg
006.jpg

I have a line on a 1977 vanity texas truck plate "O-K 20" for $15 and another set of Passenger MINT 1977 Texas passenger plates for $150.

I am crossing my fingers that I can use the vintage plate even though some sites say you cannot. For 15 bucks, its worth a shot. Vintage plate is Beige with red lettering, so should look great.

Edit: Heck yeah, I just called DPS and they said that I can register it as "Old classic Plate" for 15 bucks.

here is my new plates I ordered
http://www.turnerplates.com/bigpics/v-5581 b.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom