Upgrading from cable to synthetic - why keep roller fairlead? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've seen several builds, on here and in person, that have synthetic line with a roller fairlead - like this one

Screen Shot 2023-09-28 at 5.18.52 AM.png

I have the same ARB bumper and am concerned about my winch line snagging the build in roller bracket, let alone having issues with the rollers and the line.

I was thinking about cutting that welded bracket off the bumper to reduce line risk, and remove the roller fairlead to improve approach angle

i think it boils down to preferences.
there are delrin rollers available if you stay roller fairlead. it appears that fairlead isn't properly installed to the bumper.
otherwise, afaik, the arb bumper will need the offset hawse.

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a roller fairlead with synthetic line. It's better for the line, and it won't get caught in the corners as some fear. The only caveat is that you shouldn't use a roller fairlead (or a hawse, for that matter) that has been used with steel line, as the scoring caused by the steel will abrade the synthetic line. I use a Hawse Pro four-roller on mine, but a standard steel roller fairlead is fine.

DSC02207 copy 2.jpg

8274 copy.jpg

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a roller fairlead with synthetic line. It's better for the line, and it won't get caught in the corners as some fear. The only caveat is that you shouldn't use a roller fairlead (or a hawse, for that matter) that has been used with steel line, as the scoring caused by the steel will abrade the synthetic line. I use a Hawse Pro four-roller on mine, but a standard steel roller fairlead is fine.

View attachment 3452213

View attachment 3452214
the gap in the lower roller set would definitely catch rope.

I'm in the roller fairlead camp, especially on an ARB. My roller has never been used with wire rope. If anything, the synthetic line will experience LESS friction across rollers. on a tube bumper i had on a prior truck, i did have an aluminum hawse.

On an 80 ARB, you'll need an offset hawse fairlead if you do go that route. and in that picture, the roller is mounted too low and the rope is most likely scraping the steel bumper behind it.

while it MAY be possible to pinch a synthetic rope in the roller corners, you'd have to be severely off-angle to do that. i'm far from a hardcore winch user, so this possibility has never worried me.

FWIW, I also run a standard Warn roller fairlead with synthetic line like @Jonathan Hanson , and I've never had the rope catch in a gap or corner.

IMG_0864.JPG

the gap in the lower roller set would definitely catch rope.
No, it won't. There is no "gap." The Overland Expo training team once tried to make it happen and we couldn't. It's not an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom