Upgrade suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to upgrade a few things on my 1995 80 series and looking for recommendations on:
• Hood and back window pneumatic pistons. The OEM units no longer hold them up.
• Auxiliary LED lights to mount on my ARB bars up front.
• A solution for carrying extra gas for emergencies.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm looking to upgrade a few things on my 1995 80 series and looking for recommendations on:

I got these cheap hood struts:
Amazon hood struts
Good so far.

IMO the OEM hood and rear hatch struts are superior to aftermarket

If you're tall and don't like hitting your head on the rear hatch lid, do the McMaster Carr conversion.

Raises it about 8" and they have yet to not lift at -25°F.

I've had mine on for 9+ years so far. Hood struts I used OEM.

If you're tall and don't like hitting your head on the rear hatch lid, do the McMaster Carr conversion.

Raises it about 8" and they have yet to not lift at -25°F.

I've had mine on for 9+ years so far. Hood struts I used OEM.
That sounds like a great idea. I couldn't find it by doing a Google search. Would you happen to have a link? Thanks!

IMO the OEM hood and rear hatch struts are superior to aftermarket
Thanks. Considering that I'll probably be buried in mine, I'll go for OEM as well. ;)
Actually, my wife says that she'll drive it after I'm gone because men always stop her when she drives it. Ha!

Here in CO the cheap struts are fine until the first really cold day when your skull gets caved in from falling hood or hatch. OEM struts last way longer for sure.

That sounds like a great idea. I couldn't find it by doing a Google search. Would you happen to have a link? Thanks!

Also this one with a few pics. This is what I based mine from. However, I went back and verified all information before I purchased my parts. You can order from the parts list in my thread. I listed them so I could refer back to it when it came time to replace.

* I wouldn't carry extra gas inside the truck for anything other than a very short drive. You want it outside on a carrier, possibly aftermarket bumper with a jerry can holder.
* Lots of light options. Look at reviews and see what you prefer. There's a TON of options out there.

Hood strut replacement procedure:
-

Trunk hatch glass strut replacement procedure:
-

+1 on baja design lights. Had them on both my rigs.
Screenshot_20230809-094525.png
Screenshot_20230809-094544.png

(They were brighter than my cheap 9" Chinese rounds)

I use a 4x4labs rear bumper with jerrycan holder for gas (doubles as a smaller yeti holder too)

If you're going to die in it and aren't concerned about money - get a long range tank.

HPR always works. Pick a side and be done.

+1 on baja design lights. Had them on both my rigs.
View attachment 3396808View attachment 3396809
(They were brighter than my cheap 9" Chinese rounds)

I use a 4x4labs rear bumper with jerrycan holder for gas (doubles as a smaller yeti holder too)
Thank you! I went to the Baja Designs site, but they don't list the Land Cruiser for their kits. I have an ARB bar like yours up front, so what units would you recommend?

If you're going to die in it and aren't concerned about money - get a long range tank.
An interesting idea. Is that something that comes from the dealer as OEM or is it third party? It seems interesting to consider vs the cost of the rear bumper replacement that can carry jerry cans. Would be worth comparing.

Thank you! I went to the Baja Designs site, but they don't list the Land Cruiser for their kits. I have an ARB bar like yours up front, so what units would you recommend?
I have total lighting overkill with the LP4 and LP6 AND the roof bar light...lol but I feel the LP4's work great over all (good size to output ratio)- on the ARB bumper i had there were 'L' brackets that the center bolt of the light would fit just fine (not sure if that was custom form the PO or not). Or just use a bar clamp bracket like my Blue truck uses.

An interesting idea. Is that something that comes from the dealer as OEM or is it third party? It seems interesting to consider vs the cost of the rear bumper replacement that can carry jerry cans. Would be worth comparing.
I believe there is an OE option but also aftermarket availability. One example:

67 total gallon capacity. So, 700+ mile possible range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom