Update: 5W-30 & Heavier Recommended RoTW (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a good video explaining stuff.
kinda starts addressing our question in this thread at about 6:00 mark

Very nice video but I guess doesn't settle the issue since Toyota owner's manual recommends a different oil in the US, for what we think is the exact same engine. One wishes Mr. T would have an engineer chime in on this massively popular forum that represents some of their most hardcore fans.

This weekend I swapped over to the bandwagon with pennzoil ultra platinum 5w-30 oil. I can’t believe I waited this long to throw in this oil blend. The 3UR is now running like a Swiss watch with much less valve noise compared to 0W-20.

I will also swap over to 5W-30 in the Tundra for its next oil change as well. Thank you for the recommendation!

Last edited:
This weekend I swapped over to the bandwagon with pennzoil ultra platinum 5w-30 oil. I can’t believe I waited this long to throw in this oil blend. The 3UR is now running like a switch watch with much less valve noise compared to 0W-20.

I will also swap over to 5W-30 in the Tundra for its next oil change as well. Thank you for the recommendation!
Glad to hear it!!

This weekend I swapped over to the bandwagon with pennzoil ultra platinum 5w-30 oil. I can’t believe I waited this long to throw in this oil blend. The 3UR is now running like a switch watch with much less valve noise compared to 0W-20.

Is that kind of like a Swiss watch?

EDE57611-C63C-4D3B-BA37-CA1D00DD4A05.jpeg

This video is the most rational/practical explanation I’ve viewed thus far—which is why full synthetic 0w/20 works for me:

1. I don’t live in an extremely hot climate (as experienced in certain overseas markets).
2. The oil change interval, type of oil, etc., are variables in other markets.
3. We need an oil analysis of 0w/20 vs 5w/30 full synthetic in order to show some empiric data vs. subjective speculation (sewing machine & Swiss watch sounds).
4. Most wear occurs at startup where 0w is indisputably better.
5. The history of Toyota and use of 5w/30. Pretty interesting explanation.
5. Probably doesn’t matter—but whatever makes you sleep better may.

Given my family and I live in TN and MT and don’t use the LC for heavy duty towing (use an F250 PSD for towing), nor anything more extreme than overlanding/camping. The 3UR-FE manages heat quite well as I don’t believe it has an issue keeping oil within an optimal temperature range.

I do oil changes ever 5k miles/6 months—and believe Toyota’s engineers hit the target with 0w/20 full synthetic for the U.S. market.

NOTE: I served/lived extensively worldwide and from my experience comparing the U.S. to certain overseas markets is apples vs. oranges.

Last edited:
FWIW - I have an oil change coming up here in about 3 weeks, as soon as I get to 5k miles on oil. I'll be doing a Blackstone analysis on the oil and will post the results here.

Current oil: Shell Rotella Truck/SUV Full Synthetic 0W-20
Time on Oil: 6 months (11/25/22 last oil change @ 165,083 miles)
Mileage on Oil: Will be 5,000 miles (170,000)

I’m excited to see the results as well.

The biggest item i’m interested in seeing is if a larger amount of engine wear materials are present with the thinner grade oil. I would have to imagine hearing more engine ticking would lead to more wear materials as a basic matter of friction between two surfaces.

Of course, the best test would be to look at two analyses with the same engine (back to back) between oil change intervals to remove as many variables as possible.

I’m excited to see the results as well.

The biggest item i’m interested in seeing is if a larger amount of engine wear materials are present with the thinner grade oil. I would have to imagine hearing more engine ticking would lead to more wear materials as a basic matter of friction between two surfaces.

Of course, the best test would be to look at two analyses with the same engine (back to back) between oil change intervals to remove as many variables as possible.
I would switch to 5w-30 on this next oil change so I can do back-to-back with same engine, but I have about 25qt of 0w-20 on my shelf from various closeout deals I need to work through :)

I would switch to 5w-30 on this next oil change so I can do back-to-back with same engine, but I have about 25qt of 0w-20 on my shelf from various closeout deals I need to work through :)

Haha, sounds as if you need to use the cruiser for its intended purpose, and see how many miles you can get your rig up to.

Got my blackstone results back

I picked up the truck at 160k miles and did my first test at around 165k-170k with Idemitsu 0W20 and then from 175k-now Idemitsu 5W-30 thanks to this thread

2023 is 5W30 Idemitsu
2022 is 0w20 Idemitsu

both results are with a mix of city, highway and slow speed offroad driving.

Both using the genuine Toyota oil and engine air filter.

oil.PNG

Thanks Chris! So 5W-30 results in a slightly smaller amount of wear metals in the used oil? That makes logical sense due to less ticking noise with the heavier 5W-30.

Thanks Chris! So 5W-30 results in a slightly smaller amount of wear metals in the used oil? That makes logical sense due to less ticking noise with the heavier 5W-30.
One data point from one engine is far from a trend. I use 5W30 in all my V8 Toyotas FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom