Unobtainium (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For my purposes, the good news is that a liberal dose of WD40 got it working again. But, I could only allow it to work once. It activates the most irritating little buzzer from the moment you switch on until enough vacuum builds up to trigger the switch. This goes on for 30secs or more, and human tolerance for that sound is sub 5 secs. Off came the wire again. The same probably happened within days for every Cruiser fitted with that crazy system. It works and that's enough to know. Thankfully I didn't spend money and effort on getting a new one.

i see sold out >?TOYOTA GENUINE OEM 83390-36020 SWITCH ASSY, VACUUM WARNING 8339036020
I must have got the last one

found another on Ebay TOYOTA GENUINE OEM 83390-36020 SWITCH ASSY, VACUUM WARNING 8339036020

Last edited:
Looks like this switch was re-upped for more modern Toyota vehicles:

Part 83390-36020 (SWITCH ASSY, VACUUM WARNING) was found on the following models:

Date rangeModelFrames/OptionsFound in diagram
01/1993-11/2016TOYOTA COASTERBB4*,5*,BZB40,50,HZB50,RZB40,50,TRB40,50,XZB40,5*84-01: SWITCH & RELAY & COMPUTER
01/2017-TOYOTA COASTERBB60,BZB60,70,HZB70,TRB60,70,XZB60,7084-01: SWITCH & RELAY & COMPUTER
12/2000-02/2014TOYOTA COASTERBB5*,RZB5*,TRB53,XZB5384-01: SWITCH & RELAY & COMPUTER
01/2013-TOYOTA COASTERGRB53,TRB53,XZB5384-01: SWITCH & RELAY & COMPUTER
10/1996-09/2001TOYOTA MEGA CRUISERBXD2084-01: SWITCH & RELAY & COMPUTER

Most of these projects are coincidental opportunities. Someone happens to have a piece lying around they can do without for 6 to 8 months period, or they're doing a resto and can have the weatherstrip out for that long. I'm currently doing the split rear window weatherstrip for early FJ45 under such circumstances.

Any luck/thoughts on the BJ73/74 FRP window stripping? I have a window replacement coming up and thought I would check.

A8E90514-A901-4C5E-B7FA-81DD20D3FDA8.jpeg
Is this Clardy A/C considered unobtanium 😁. Crossing my fingers it doesn’t leak when I hook it up.

Hope it’s worth a million. I have one of those. Never installed it though.

I would imagine all these are made for R12 which hasn't used in automotive industry since the mid nineties. Obviously needs to be convert to R134A or what ever is suppose to be replacing it. Me I'm still using R12 in my old vehicles.

I would imagine all these are made for R12 which hasn't used in automotive industry since the mid nineties. Obviously needs to be convert to R134A or what ever is suppose to be replacing it. Me I'm still using R12 in my old vehicles.
Are you happy with the price of R12 ?

Yes I will be installing it using all new under hood components from vintage air and charging it with 134A.

My old man grabbed several 30lb cylinders back in the day. I'm pretty set. :flipoff2: I blew a receiver/dryer O-ring on my 91' 240sx once and lost some. Was sad to see it go. Now that I think about it, after that happened we had an earthquake, a flood, and the ocean level went up 8.5". Must have been some high quality stuff.

Really have no idea of the current price.

My old man grabbed several 30lb cylinders back in the day. I'm pretty set. :flipoff2: I blew a receiver/dryer O-ring on my 91' 240sx once and lost some. Was sad to see it go. Now that I think about it, after that happened we had an earthquake, a flood, and the ocean level went up 8.5". Must have been some high quality stuff.

I have no where near as much as your dad and if I started having a bunch of leaks I could have a issue. But until then will continue to run it.

Yes I will be installing it using all new under hood components from vintage air and charging it with 134A.

Good chance your evaporator will have an R12 TXV. They is designed to meter R12. Haven't researched it but heard R134a is going to be phased out. If so would stock up on R134a. never dealt with converting from R12 to R134a. But guessing to work the best your going to need to address the meter devise. Years ago converted some large stationary equipment from R500 to R22. Those could change the power head on the TXV and couple pins inside. But something this small going need to change the devise. Each refrigerant has it's own characteristics. The power head is charged with the refrigerant it is metering.

Really have no idea of the current price.

I have no where near as much as your dad and if I started having a bunch of leaks I could have a issue. But until then will continue to run it.

Good chance your evaporator will have an R12 TXV. They is designed to meter R12. Haven't researched it but heard R134a is going to be phased out. If so would stock up on R134a. never dealt with converting from R12 to R134a. But guessing to work the best your going to need to address the meter devise. Years ago converted some large stationary equipment from R500 to R22. Those could change the power head on the TXV and couple pins inside. But something this small going need to change the devise. Each refrigerant has it's own characteristics. The power head is charged with the refrigerant it is metering.

Well, cost is quite high.

r12.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom