Unobtainium (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Recreating something like that would be a massive undertaking with no chance of ROI. Cool idea though...

Recreating something like that would be a massive undertaking with no chance of ROI. Cool idea though...
A copycat Fairey would probably be a hassle but adapting a Gear Vendors' OD might be another way to go.
I'd like to know if anyone has ever tried such a thing...

I looked up the old for sale thread I had. May have been only twelve years ago I sold the last one I had listed. Only have one 100% complete used one and couple close. The 100% is going in my 73. Do have other parts like bearings and shift linkage.
The company got sold to Superwinch at some point, therefore Superwinch might still be able to supply some replacement parts. Of course, Superwinch itself changed ownership in 2019.

Pedal return spring: 90506-18055

We just pulled them out of our inventory and marked em dead :(

The company got sold to Superwinch at some point, therefore Superwinch might still be able to supply some replacement parts. Of course, Superwinch itself changed ownership in 2019.

I believe it may have Superwinch who produced a new copy of the Fairey years ago. Thing it was mentioned on mud. As I remember the cost was ridiculous. Kind of a shame really the best option for a OD up to 1/79. After that the fuel tank was in the way. Requires no driveshaft mods. No body mods other than hole for the shifter in the transmission tunnel. Not sure O would want one with a V8. Needle bearings are not as robust as the ball bearings. But plenty of then survived a long time. Other than switching to a H55F with a split case of another five speed requiring an adapter. Those shrink the rear driveshaft like the Hone OD which only works in 2WD. Ranger I believe only works with a V8. There also one that that was a split case like the Fairey split case version. One or two of those popped up on mud.
I switched to a four speed in my 68 about the time I bought my first Fairey OD. Short of moving the torque tube. This was right about the time bought an FJ62. Prior to that I used my 68 for trips between Phoenix and Flagstaff. A few hills in I-17 third wouldn't hold and second was too low geared. Being able to split each gear would be a plus.

Pedal return spring: 90506-18055

We just pulled them out of our inventory and marked em dead :(

I can't remember what thread I read this in - but I made a note somewhere that P/N: 90507-14030, return spring from a 90's 4Runner or Taco, works as a replacement. I haven't confirmed this on my 40 but it's working looking into if someone blows a spring.

I can't remember what thread I read this in - but I made a note somewhere that P/N: 90507-14030, return spring from a 90's 4Runner or Taco, works as a replacement. I haven't confirmed this on my 40 but it's working looking into if someone blows a spring.

cool, good intel. Fortunately finding a suitable spring for that application wouldn't be tough

I don't know whether this is the appropriate place to ask, but I am looking for the "oval" shaped rubber grommet that goes in the floor next to the fuel tank on a 1977 HJ 45 and the vacuum switch which goes on the vacuum tank.

I don't know whether this is the appropriate place to ask, but I am looking for the "oval" shaped rubber grommet that goes in the floor next to the fuel tank on a 1977 HJ 45 and the vacuum switch which goes on the vacuum tank.

can you post photos of the vacuum switch here ?

It looks identical to the brake switches that screw into the bottom of the brake master cylinder (single terminal), but I suppose works in the opposite way. It screws into the vacuum reservoir which is located under the cab attached to the frame and triggers a small buzzer mounted under the dash. I will add a photo later when I get to the workshop.

This is an aftermarket brake switch. The Toyota ones have a shorter flat "nose" (red) section.
20210312_083401.jpg

I believe it may have Superwinch who produced a new copy of the Fairey years ago. Thing it was mentioned on mud. As I remember the cost was ridiculous. Kind of a shame really the best option for a OD up to 1/79. After that the fuel tank was in the way. Requires no driveshaft mods. No body mods other than hole for the shifter in the transmission tunnel. Not sure O would want one with a V8. Needle bearings are not as robust as the ball bearings. But plenty of then survived a long time. Other than switching to a H55F with a split case of another five speed requiring an adapter. Those shrink the rear driveshaft like the Hone OD which only works in 2WD. Ranger I believe only works with a V8. There also one that that was a split case like the Fairey split case version. One or two of those popped up on mud.
I switched to a four speed in my 68 about the time I bought my first Fairey OD. Short of moving the torque tube. This was right about the time bought an FJ62. Prior to that I used my 68 for trips between Phoenix and Flagstaff. A few hills in I-17 third wouldn't hold and second was too low geared. Being able to split each gear would be a plus.

Marks4wd in Australia used to sell an overdrive. As soon as I found out about it I called them. They had just sold the last one about a month before and had decided not to make any more. I never saw a picture of it so I never found out if it was a Fairey or whatever. This was about 1998...roughly.

I talked to the guy that had the rights to Fairey (for Land Rovers) a number of years back. He was in the U.S. I believe this was after Superwinch sold off??? He was making some parts but wasn't the least bit interested in catering to the Toyota community. I threw out some inflated estimates of the number of potential customer but to no avail. He wasn't even interested in selling off the rights to make a Toyota- specific version.

This website claims that some parts are still available through Superwinch but I doubt there's anything for a Toyota...

And then there's this...

It seems funny to me that Land Rovers still have available options in North America but not a J4. I'd love another Fairey. Or a ranger but those are gone too. I had one (Fairey) in a '79 FJ55. Great for splitting gears on hills, etc. I never used it in 4wd though. I guess the H55 was the oak stake in the heart of aftermarket overdrives for us.:meh:

Thanks! It's really rewarding to see one of the legendary features in the Land Cruiser sphere get a second life. Those windows do slide back and forth!
I was wondering! That is so cool. Excellent work on a complicated and rare piece. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom