engine cleanup and under hood parts ID HELP? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i want to take this thing to the high pressure spray wash and spend some quarters on cleaning it up.

anyone mind helping me figure out what i should not point a high pressure spray gun at in this pic? also, anything underneath the vehicle i should not spray?

68BE8A74-1AD6-4F27-BAE3-4CE87FDAC100.jpeg

also i’m working through the forum stickies and trying to understand the acronyms and what they do.

one other item on my list is to figure out if the PHH has been done on this vehicle. i also need to replace the heater control valve and some additional hoses (?) before winter.

i also want to clean some of the interiors of some of the parts.

for instance which one is the PCV valve? EVAP? EGR valve? VSV?

THANK YOU

27D758CE-35D9-4903-AFE9-A600E183B38C.jpeg

E94A5551-73E0-451E-A7BC-7B30DEE8A1AD.jpeg

FF996F70-F5DC-4E2A-984A-6221F43A9512.jpeg

EAFAB232-4816-4870-B342-584D88972A80.jpeg

This truck has no heat correct? That heater area is a complete mess.

Dont spray down the center of the engine where the spark plug valleys are or the distributor cap area. Also, on the underside right of your air filter canister is a small can known as the Tuna Can. Two spring clips hold it on. Loosen those and clean the tuna can out first so if and water gets in the air filter canister it can drain properly.

Then fix that mess of a heating system.

This truck has no heat correct? That heater area is a complete mess.

Dont spray down the center of the engine where the spark plug valleys are or the distributor cap area. Also, on the underside right of your air filter canister is a small can known as the Tuna Can. Two spring clips hold it on. Loosen those and clean the tuna can out first so if and water gets in the air filter canister it can drain properly.

Then fix that mess of a heating system.

/thanks/.

air filter canister is the big one in the middle?

also, i priced the heater control valve. retail is like $70. but i couldn’t find the diagram for the part so i can’t tell what other hoses i need. it’s not under HVAC > heater. maybe i should check in the FSM and see if i can at least see a diagram?

any way i can ask you what picture i need to take to see if the PHH was done? i am kind of assuming the heater control valve will be a piece of cake if the PHH was done but i am “wrench bootstrapping” myself from a motorcycle here so i’m trying to allocate my skills properly...

THANK YOU

jon

I never pressure wash my engine. Engine degreaser, Simple Green, along with some good brushes will get it very clean. The high pressure water is simply too risky for me.

This is correct!
thanks gents. so just get a step stool or some milk crates, spray it all down with simple green and have at it with a brush?
same for the underside or can i take a high pressure hose to the underside?
also, anyone mind reminding me what the green and red parts are here? and maybe where i look for the pesky heater hose to see if it has been done?!
THANKS

1E22B217-D131-448D-872D-4E6A1941613C.jpeg

A good automotive de-greaser and low pressure hose water is all you need. High pressure H2O has a tendency to get into places where it does not belong (electrical connections etc...)

The PHH is not visible in those pics.
can i please ask if i need to get under and look up? it’s to the left side (as you sit in the truck) and below the heater control valve? and/or how i would know if it has been done?
i tried the FAT fiche and don’t see it. the heater control valve is /listed/ under HVAC > heater but it doesn’t show a diagram. and i can’t find it in the digital FSM. FSM seems like it doesn’t have a table of contents or index i guess?
anyway, can i please ask if i am closer with these? i’m trying to figure out if i can just order the control valve and some hoses or if i want to bite the bullet and have someone do this with the heater hose.
- jon

F94A5A43-2655-424D-9D2E-F64F36146F3D.jpeg

35D6B498-ED3E-404A-A04F-5C18BBF14567.jpeg

B2E079C6-280C-4FBE-9404-46317C9C02D5.jpeg

65A4C2E1-2AFC-41A7-B2D8-C03054170934.jpeg

sorry. reading the PHH sticky thread and i am realizing there are no pictures in it. plus i have not much to go off of on mine.

looks like this will make for good reading tomorrow AM and maybe i can see where i am at with the PHH and heater control valve.

1992 FJ80 3FE Heater Hose OEM Part Codes

if anyone knows where it is in the fiche it could be helpful.

sorry. reading the PHH sticky thread and i am realizing there are no pictures in it. plus i have not much to go off of on mine.

looks like this will make for good reading tomorrow AM and maybe i can see where i am at with the PHH and heater control valve.

1992 FJ80 3FE Heater Hose OEM Part Codes

if anyone knows where it is in the fiche it could be helpful.

That’s not the correct link for your engine. That’s for a 91-92 80 series with a 3FE engine. Judging by the pics, yours is a 95-97 with a 1FZ-FE engine.

Circled in red is the heater control valve. You’ll notice the broken end. It should connect to the pipe circled in blue. It appears someone capped off the pipe due to the broken heater valve. Follow the pipe down to where it connects to the engine block. You’ll notice it connects with a short 2” hose. That short hose is the PHH

4F8B7967-9E74-49BD-BA83-CEF898F605D9.jpeg

Like a previously mentioned dont use a high pressure washer,low pressuer and see if some way you can hook up to hot water,a good degreaser sprayed on,let sit then wash down.hot water will help the degreasing process

Dont spray the the top of the valve cover or the distributor.
Lots of real estate to spray without hitting those areas. I've done it many many times.

Makes working on it SO much better.

Really get the wand in there and get after it. Underneath you can spend many quarters blasting however much you want. Take spare clothes and boots to change into cuse its gonna be really messy.
Then get after the rest whilst you work on it at home. That's what I do anyway. Only once dis I get too aggressive and misfire a bit till I got home and blew the water out of spark plug tubes and whatnot.

PHH. Your getting warmer. It's hard to see. Through the driver side wheel well, wheels turned to the right and get your head and a light in there. It's like forward and up front the starter. First search for pics of it so you know what your looking for. So many pics here on MUD already. If you see it has those roll pin type hose clamps, like in your own pics, it's most likely original.

Go to an online parts dealer and find one with decent diagrams or go to Wits' End website and order whatever he sells for your year wagon. Also, there has got to be pics on MUD of everyone already, probably with Parr numbers too.

I've pressure washed the engine bay of every vehicle I've ever owned over the last 20+ years. Never once had an issue :meh:

Use common sense, of course: avoid directly hitting electric bits n pieces, hold the gun further back, don't spend too long in any one place, etc...

I’ve hotsy’d mine with 200* water at 3000psi no problems. Many pressure washes on many engines, no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom