Ultimate 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One odd thing another mud member might clear up: did the HDJ81's never get airbags? My 95 does not have them despite the US trucks getting them that year.

JDM 80's had airbags as options starting in 1994 but they're not too common until the end of the model run. Could be single (steering wheel) or dual (wheel and dash).

JDM Car and Motorcycle, Duncan Imports, and Japanese Classics are all great to work with.

Buyer be aware, these sellers (and the majority of the JDM specific dealers) have been known to sell vehicles with odometer rollbacks, undisclosed damage history and other unreported defects. Caveat emptor.

Eh, I’d look elsewhere before them. Looks like they’re difficult to reach these days.

Yes we stay extremely busy and are blessed to be overwhelmed with inquiries on a constant basis. Being so flooded with calls that people think we NEVER answer definitely leaves no time for facebook posts or mud threads these days. But there's a reason we're a very popular source and we love putting the best import cruisers on the path to their forever homes.

I take it they are mud approved?

Indeed, we're the official importing vendor for mud, The Land Cruiser Heritage Museum and many other "celebs" in the LC community. The owner of mud drives a BJ74 from LCD. We only deal in Land Cruisers, we're a boutique "have it your way" service provider, we import the best trucks out there from any market on the planet and we provide lifetime tech support. Lately we've been slammed with inquiries and plagued with a couple family issues that cut back on throughput but setup a call with us if you're still looking or want some real world info: Land Cruisers Direct - Schedule a Call with LCD - https://landcruisersdirect.com/booking/

Here’s a small list of importers. I have no experience with any of them, just a few I follow on IG. There’s quite a few more out there.

There are enough shady importers out there to have a number of resources such as this very informative facebook group (ugh, facebook but it can be a great source of info):

Or a few google searches can turn up who regularly sells vehicles with hidden accident history, odometer rollbacks and other quality issues. Unfortunately very common. So buyer be aware, caveat emptor.

If you find a cruiser near Calgary or Edmonton there are plenty of cruiser club members familiar with the 80 series that would probably be happy to help you out. Probably some members also selling one or two cruisers, including diesels.

I have a 6BT cummins swapped diesel cruiser. In the terrain I wheel, the high compression/low bottom end torque is great for idling over obstacles, even in 4 hi, and great for putting down pot holed roads, rocky river bottom trails. Without your foot on the throttle in these conditions and idleing they don't use much fuel. They don't spool up as quick as some gas motors to spin tires and clean the treads of mud but they pull hard when spooled up.

The diesel motor in a cruiser isn't for everyone, I often think a healthy LS swapped power plant to be a great alternative.

My 80 is less conventional, less ideal for long road trips, one tons, 42's and first gen cummins. Its also what I would prefer for winter snow wheeling, weekend camping, and short sunday drives for take out. Point is, there is no single "best landcruiser setup" There is only your best setup or mine etc.

As far as factory specs go

The best market for an 80 series RHD would be Japan no doubt.

They get access to ALL configurations and options for their market.

LHD

I'd say G.C.C spec would offer the most in options and configurations for gas.

Diesel LHD would be tough. As the best drivetrain is the 1HD-FT and manual trans.

West Europe got this drivetrain but no other nice options like factory winch and factory tire carrier. They also had the worst emission systems for these engines.

Eastern Europe has a cloud on it. I'm not sure what specs they got. Specifically the Russian market. not sure what specs were offered from toyota to their market.

So what specs did Toyota make for the 80? Here is what I remember:

• Dual spare tires (one under and the other behind tailgate).
  • Dual fuel tanks
  • Aluminum Roof Rack
  • Full Float axles
  • Front and Rear lockers
  • Mechanical winch (PTO)
  • Electric winch
  • Part time 4WD
  • Split Rims
  • Center console fridge
  • Rear Heater/AC
  • manual transmission
  • Factory snorkel
  • Rear camping set (JDM only)
  • Free Wheeling Hubs
  • Factory brush guard
  • 3F - 3FE - 1FZ - 1FZFE gas engines
  • 1PZ - 1HZ - 1HDT 1HDFT diesel engines
  • Sliding rear windows
  • Cruise Control
  • Barn Rear doors - Lift up tailgate
Not sure if cable lockers were offered in the 80. I know that the 60 had them as an option but i'm not sure if it carried over to the 80.

I may have forget a few other options. This platform is indeed Toyota's golden hour. They really went up and beyond in the late 80s and 90s to make a very rugged vehicle. I'm on my second 80 and I don't think I'll be selling it ever. I really appreciate the engineering and toughness it has yet it's comfortable and capable.

LHD

Diesel LHD would be tough. As the best drivetrain is the 1HD-FT and manual trans.

West Europe got this drivetrain but no other nice options like factory winch and factory tire carrier. They also had the worst emission systems for these engines.

Eastern Europe has a cloud on it. I'm not sure what specs they got. Specifically the Russian market. not sure what specs were offered from toyota to their market.

• Dual fuel tanks
  • Aluminum Roof Rack
  • Full Float axles
  • Front and Rear lockers
  • Mechanical winch (PTO)
  • Electric winch
  • Part time 4WD
  • Split Rims
  • Center console fridge
  • Rear Heater/AC
  • manual transmission
  • Factory snorkel
  • Free Wheeling Hubs
  • Factory brush guard
  • Sliding rear windows
  • Cruise Control
Not sure if cable lockers were offered in the 80. I know that the 60 had them as an option but i'm not sure if it carried over to the 80.

I may have forget a few other options. This platform is indeed Toyota's golden hour. They really went up and beyond in the late 80s and 90s to make a very rugged vehicle. I'm on my second 80 and I don't think I'll be selling it ever. I really appreciate the engineering and toughness it has yet it's comfortable and capable.
It seems like Spain is a popular place to import LHD diese Cruisers from. Do you know if they got more stringent emissions equipment there too?

For me, my ultimate 80 would be a LHD 1hdt auto with lockers, cloth interior NO SUNROOF.

But my wife would hate the diesel, so as a family, the ultimate 80 would be any old USDM fzj80 like the two I currently have in the garage. Poverty pack if I could find it.

West Europe got this drivetrain but no other nice options like factory winch and factory tire carrier.
Both the PTO winch and the swing-out tire carrier were available in Europe.
It seems like Spain is a popular place to import LHD diese Cruisers from. Do you know if they got more stringent emissions equipment there too?
AFAIK, the whole of the EU got the more stringent emissions equipment starting in 1995, including Spain. Not that big of a deal, really, as the worst bit of it (the EGR) is simple to disable.

LHD

• Dual fuel tanks
  • Aluminum Roof Rack
  • Full Float axles
  • Front and Rear lockers
  • Mechanical winch (PTO)
  • Electric winch
  • Part time 4WD
  • Split Rims
  • Center console fridge
  • Rear Heater/AC
  • manual transmission
  • Factory snorkel
  • Free Wheeling Hubs
  • Factory brush guard
  • Sliding rear windows
  • Cruise Control

Cable lockers were discontinued in 1989. E-lockers introduced for MY 1990 in non-US markets. :)

As an owner of two manual HDJ80s im allways puzzled how anybody would want an automatic transmission 80 series. Those antique transmissions in our cars just make a total slug out of everey good running engine.

Last edited:
As an owner of two manual HDJ80s im allways puzzled how anybody would want an automatic transmission 80 series. Those antique transmission in our cars just make a total slug out of everey good running engine.
That’s a big reason why I sold mine. I imagine with manual the 1FZ-FE would really come alive. I looked into a swap but it’s cost-prohibitive. I can’t even imagine how sluggish a diesel/auto would be if supposedly the 1FZ had the most power from the factory

I prefer a manual transmission on the road and an automatic off road. I spent a good decade wheeling with manuals before I got my fj62 and really gave an auto a shot. Even with a V8 and 700r4, it was a turd on the road. But the experience off road was much more pleasant and less hairy. I can juggle three pedals at the same time with the best of them, but it's nice to just think about tire placement and throttle application without the foot gymnastics. And I also drive on I-70. A manual in stop and go traffic is more fatiguing than running a 10k for a guy like me.

I prefer a manual transmission on the road and an automatic off road. I spent a good decade wheeling with manuals before I got my fj62 and really gave an auto a shot. Even with a V8 and 700r4, it was a turd on the road. But the experience off road was much more pleasant and less hairy. I can juggle three pedals at the same time with the best of them, but it's nice to just think about tire placement and throttle application without the foot gymnastics. And I also drive on I-70. A manual in stop and go traffic is more fatiguing than running a 10k for a guy like me.
With super low gears less attention to the clutch pedal is necessary. I think that an H55/4:1 spit case and 5.29’s is very close to this. That said, and having owned a manual rig capable of extremely low and slow crawling, the only thing I sometimes miss with the 80 auto, as with any auto, is the “down the other side” engine braking.

I’ve learned to appreciate the pace of my 80 on the road if only to avoid convincing myself that I “need” to spend untold dollars on a super fantastic “modern” power train that will just end up out dated and insufficient, according to some, before I forget the pain of paying for it.

I had an h55 3FE and it was nice. Way better than the transmission in my 91 fj80. Just a dog

Both the PTO winch and the swing-out tire carrier were available in Europe.

AFAIK, the whole of the EU got the more stringent emissions equipment starting in 1995, including Spain. Not that big of a deal, really, as the worst bit of it (the EGR) is simple to disable.

It must be rare! I've never seen these options on EU cruisers. That's nice to know.

Also your 80 configuration is very rare. Reminds me of Indonesian spec. Almost an exact replica of what their dealers like to order.

That’s a big reason why I sold mine. I imagine with manual the 1FZ-FE would really come alive. I looked into a swap but it’s cost-prohibitive. I can’t even imagine how sluggish a diesel/auto would be if supposedly the 1FZ had the most power from the factory
I've had both. I won't touch an auto from this generation cruiser. They are no where near what autos are today.

manual is the way to go for maximum factory performance.

For me, my ultimate 80 would be a LHD 1hdt auto with lockers, cloth interior NO SUNROOF.

But my wife would hate the diesel, so as a family, the ultimate 80 would be any old USDM fzj80 like the two I currently have in the garage. Poverty pack if I could find it.

The 80 auto and i70 don't go well together lol

My favorite factory configuration would be

1HD-FT
manual transmission
Part time transfer case
Free wheeling hubs
dual fuel
no sunroof
cable AC (GX trim)
Dual AC for Saudi Arabia weather
center console Fridge
Barn doors
Dual spare wheel
cruise Control
Factory climate air filtration system, this is roof mounted (super rare option)
factory headlight electric height adjustment
GX trim, so no flares and painted door surrounds.
3rd row seat delete
vinyl floors
cloth seats

I have one close to this configuration but has been upgraded slightly.

IMG_8778.jpg

IMG_8752.jpg

IMG_8770.jpg

IMG_8750.jpg

Ultimate spec is entirely dependent on your preferences.

Mine would probably be swapped to a Japan-built Toyota V8 with the A750 transmission. Personally, while I appreciate the simplicity and range of diesels, it's just not worth the associate headaches. Gasoline is just too easy to find.
Curious what the “associated headaches” are?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom