Ultimate 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You could try getting in touch with Land Cruisers Direct
Eh, I’d look elsewhere before them. Looks like they’re difficult to reach these days.

Here’s a small list of importers. I have no experience with any of them, just a few I follow on IG. There’s quite a few more out there.

Eh, I’d look elsewhere before them. Looks like they’re difficult to reach these days.

Here’s a small list of importers. I have no experience with any of them, just a few I follow on IG. There’s quite a few more out there.

Oh, I hadn't heard about that. Hope everything's ok.

Oh, I hadn't heard about that. Hope everything's ok.
Not quite sure what’s going on, seemed to be a good go to in the past. I check the site occasionally for updated inventory but have seen much lately.

Also @Crush 4 do your research with any importer and the vehicle. Some of these importers including some of the ones I posted above tend to dress these things up (lipstick on a pig) new paint, interior, undercoating, etc. Have the vehicle inspected, put your eyes on it. If you find something I’d suggest reaching out to team_free_spirit on IG, he can look up auction reports for vehicles when they are sold at auction in Japan, they detail any body damage, repaints, etc. It can be very helpful since most importer/resellers stateside don’t offer up this info. Some might if asked but typically don’t.

This is a really nice spec, whether it's perfect is in the eye of the beholder.

It's a 96, so it has the 1HD-FT (24 valve, no bearing issues like 1HD-T, glow screen instead of glow plugs, better emissions, economy, power, more power when modded).

The lockers are great. The manuals are fun with diesels but the auto's have a better final drive and cruise better on US highways. The "goofy side mirror" is great for parallel parking in tight spots, it's intended to show you how close your front is to the rear of whatever is in front of you. One odd thing another mud member might clear up: did the HDJ81's never get airbags? My 95 does not have them despite the US trucks getting them that year. Also note despite being a 96 this truck will not have OBD2 if you care about that.

I didn't look over all of the options but it appears this one had the "Active Vacation" package but might be missing some pieces (the rear cargo area). On the dash note; when buying a JDM truck keep in mind a replacement dash might be the most annoying thing to source, it's large, NLA, and there are almost certainly none stateside.

JDM Car and Motorcycle, Duncan Imports, and Japanese Classics are all great to work with. If you want to actually import one yourself I'd work with Pacific Coast Auto.

It's a 96, so it has the 1HD-FT (24 valve, no bearing issues like 1HD-T, glow screen instead of glow plugs, better emissions, economy, power, more power when modded).

The lockers are great. The manuals are fun with diesels but the auto's have a better final drive and cruise better on US highways. The "goofy side mirror" is great for parallel parking in tight spots, it's intended to show you how close your front is to the rear of whatever is in front of you. One odd thing another mud member might clear up: did the HDJ81's never get airbags? My 95 does not have them despite the US trucks getting them that year. Also note despite being a 96 this truck will not have OBD2 if you care about that.

I didn't look over all of the options but it appears this one had the "Active Vacation" package but might be missing some pieces (the rear cargo area). On the dash note; when buying a JDM truck keep in mind a replacement dash might be the most annoying thing to source, it's large, NLA, and there are almost certainly none stateside.

JDM Car and Motorcycle, Duncan Imports, and Japanese Classics are all great to work with. If you want to actually import one yourself I'd work with Pacific Coast Auto.
Very valuable info.!

I agree, you could do a lot worse.

Auto is a deal breaker for me.

If you could buy the ultimate 80...
You ask 100 guys, you'll get 100 answers. 80's came with a variety of trim packages, accessories, motors, etc. Customizing only increases available options.
What are you looking for?

My "ultimate 80" is:

LHD. For me, RHD is a deal-killer. Personal preference. I'd feel differently if I was driving it in AU or somewhere where it's "normal".
1HD-FT 24-valve diesel motor, maybe the best motor ever offered in an 80. If you're into swaps (I'm not), there are others some say might be better.
H151 5-speed transmission. Vintage automatics do nothing for me.
Full-Time 4WD. I fail to see any advantage to part-time.
Locking differentials F & R. Why not? They're available. Might even use them once in a while.
Swing out rear doors. Might be a controversial choice, but I had them on my 70-series and loved them.
No sunroof. More headroom without it. Can't leak if it's not there.
Basic Interior. Vinyl floors and seats, wind up windows. I could live with fabric. All the plush leather and automatic power accessories tend to break with age.
Dual fuel tanks. The range is nice, and the space is free.

Coincidentally, I've just bought such a truck. :cool:

If the OP wants LHD, shop Europe instead of Japan.

If money is no object, a 95-97 with a 1HD-FT is usually though of as the holy grail AFAIK, and for me personally with an H151. A turbo 1fz is right up there though I'd think.

The A343 is plenty reliable, but it's kind of indecisive and slushy IMO: not that fun to drive. (again just my .02). I guess auto is usually preferred for hardcore crawling though if you're into that.

Not sure I could do RHD - too many oddities when driving to get use to, especially if you switch back to LHD regularly

I have found it to have its pro's and cons. To your point, if I constantly had to switch back to LHD, the turn signal/wiper thing does get a bit silly.

Cons:
Drive-thru (I'm 6'5", reaching across isn't a big deal, a lot of places have the curbside option, and I often have a passenger anyway)

Right on red is a little more difficult

Takes a couple days to get used to

Wipers and turn signals are opposite (only a problem if you also drive a LHD car often)

Pros:
Parallel parking is way easier

I can hug the right side of the road more accurately (great for the narrow bridge on my way to work)

I can peek around traffic easier to see whats going on up ahead since everyone is trying to peek around eachother on the left

Left on red (a Portland one-way to one-way thing) is easier

Getting my mail is hilariously easily, hence why a lot of JDM RHD vehicles go to rural mail carriers

My garage isn't super wide. I park on the left, she parks on the right. We both get our vehicles close to the wall on the non-driver side, and then we have a nice big aisle between them where we can open our doors and get in and out very easily. If your truck is to tall for your garage obviously this wont matter.

Maybe a Pro or Con:
Everyone is going to ask about it

It very much depends on your preferences.

If you want reliability, look towards the diesel models.
If you want power, look towards the petrol models.
If you want something with a luxury feel that's not going offroad much, get the VX models or a Lexus equivalent.
If you want a rugged offroad vehicle, get the most basic model you can find.
If you like something that's mechanically simple, look towards a manual.
If you like something that's simple to drive, look towards an auto.
If you're comfortable doing work yourself and don't need to worry about lead time for parts, hunt your favorite model from around the world.
If you prefer to pay someone to do the work for you or can't afford downtime, stick to models you can find domestically.

And of course, if you don't have lots of spare time/money, don't get an 80 in the first place.
I'm curious why you say the diesels are more reliable? I figured maybe they're preferred in Aus for all the water crossing and vast distances, as well as the high cost of petrol.

I think it's a shame only the top-spec 80s were offered here. I've always wondered why that was, since most Australian J80s I see are the stripper models.

You ask 100 guys, you'll get 100 answers. 80's came with a variety of trim packages, accessories, motors, etc. Customizing only increases available options.
What are you looking for?

My "ultimate 80" is:

LHD. For me, RHD is a deal-killer. Personal preference. I'd feel differently if I was driving it in AU or somewhere where it's "normal".
1HD-FT 24-valve diesel motor, maybe the best motor ever offered in an 80. If you're into swaps (I'm not), there are others some say might be better.
H151 5-speed transmission. Vintage automatics do nothing for me.
Full-Time 4WD. I fail to see any advantage to part-time.
Locking differentials F & R. Why not? They're available. Might even use them once in a while.
Swing out rear doors. Might be a controversial choice, but I had them on my 70-series and loved them.
No sunroof. More headroom without it. Can't leak if it's not there.
Basic Interior. Vinyl floors and seats, wind up windows. I could live with fabric. All the plush leather and automatic power accessories tend to break with age.
Dual fuel tanks. The range is nice, and the space is free.

Coincidentally, I've just bought such a truck. :cool:

If the OP wants LHD, shop Europe instead of Japan.
Let’s see some pics and tell us the story?

I'm curious why you say the diesels are more reliable? I figured maybe they're preferred in Aus for all the water crossing and vast distances, as well as the high cost of petrol.
They just don't break down. There are no weak points. We don't change head gaskets as "preventative maintenance" on the diesel engines. There are no electronics, whatsoever, involved in the running of the engine. No O2 sensors. No EGR. If the engine isn't running right, you don't have to wonder if it's something to do with the ECU, or some kind of spark issue. The diesels don't even have an ECU. They take in air and fuel, and are totally mechanical, at least with the 1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT. Little annoyances like the PHH also aren't present on the diesel models. Regular oil and timing belt changes will take you to 500,000km easily. After that, an injector pump rebuild and injector service will take you on for... I don't even know how long. There's a reason Toyota are still putting 1HZ engines in new vehicles over 30 years after it came out.

As for diesel vs petrol, actually until the last decade or so, diesel was artificially much more expensive than petrol here due to government taxes. Petrol was the cheap option here when the 80s came out.

Let’s see some pics and tell us the story?

The story is ongoing. There'll be a whole thread on it when the time comes. But here's a couple of photos:

cropped.jpg

4 small.jpg

Last edited:
Check out NWspeedworks I just purchased a 92 diesel from them
Just went on their site so thx! You have been happy with them?
I’m starting to look at bringing one from Canada , wouldn’t that be easier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom