U-bolt flip problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kev60

TLCA Member:23722
Threads
I recently did a u-bolt flip on my cruiser and everything went fine except I am having a clearance problem with my exhaust. It's only when I am driving normally and hit a big bump does it hit. When I am flexing it it fits perfectly in between the bolts but its going to punch through if I hit a big enough bump. Where could I move my exhaust so solve this problem? Or any other ways to solve it?
IMG_2070.JPG
IMG_2071.JPG

:flipoff2:<<<<<----- Official Welcome

Simple answer is to get a lift kit or put the stock u-bolts back in until suggested lift kit goes in.
But if you're keeping it low and stock-height, then the u-bolt flip will be advantageous. At that point I'd say yes, re-route your exhaust.

Last edited:
:flipoff2:<<<<<----- Official Welcome

Simple answer is to get a lift kit or put the stock u-bolts back in until suggested lift kit goes in.
But if you're keeping it low and stock-height, then the u-bolt flip will be advantageous. At that point I'd say yes, re-route your exhaust.
It already has a lift on it and I have bent way to many U-Bolts with the stock stuff on it. Would rerouting the exhaust out in front of the rear wheel be doable? Or would I have a problem with exhaust getting sucked in the passenger side window?

Leave the exhaust where it is and return that u-bolt set to the normal mounting orientation (un flipped) That's my vote.

This is yet another example of aftermarket suspension stuff that was never tested on a cruiser.

Leave the exhaust where it is and return that u-bolt set to the normal mounting orientation (un flipped) That's my vote.

This is yet another example of aftermarket suspension stuff that was never tested on a cruiser.

I would put the old stuff back on except for one side was badly damaged from breaking a u-bolt on a trail and it then being bent. Of course I could get knew stuff I just don't want that to happen on the trail again.

IMG_0399.JPG
I did the u-bolt flip with lift as well. My 89fj62 seems to clear fine. You could tweek the whole pipe to the interior a bit?

Yeah that's what I'm going to try to do I believe I have some room to move over hopefully it's enough to move it out of the way when flexing too. Is your exhaust stock? Seeing as I have a sbc engine in mine I believe it might be further over than the stock set up!

Yeah that's what I'm going to try to do I believe I have some room to move over hopefully it's enough to move it out of the way when flexing too. Is your exhaust stock? Seeing as I have a sbc engine in mine I believe it might be further over than the stock set up!

The hat channel needs to be removed. Preferably before driving any more. The rubber isolator is only safe with stock springs. OME sells a centering bushing to replace it.

Did your shock angles change with the flip kit?

The hat channel needs to be removed. Preferably before driving any more. The rubber isolator is only safe with stock springs. OME sells a centering bushing to replace it.

Did your shock angles change with the flip kit?

What is the hat channel??? And I don't know how much the angle changed but the mount was moved up an inch or so.

Last edited:
I like the ubolt flipkit. I have those on my truck, my truck is not stock. Like many things.....there may be some modification required to use various parts. My spare tire sits on my bumper swing out and as noted I'm not stock, given that my flip kit works good. I did extend the suspension bump stops on my truck but thats something different. I think the ubolt flip kit is a good functional add-on. Appears to me that you will have to re-route your exhaust if you want to keep it.

I have the u-bolt flip kit on my 60 and no interference with the exhaust. It exists behind the rear tire. I've attached a pic, the difference is in the profile of the exhause as it goes over the rear axle.

Attachments

• Exhaust Routing.pdf
    41.4 KB · Views: 69
It already has a lift on it and I have bent way to many U-Bolts with the stock stuff on it. Would rerouting the exhaust out in front of the rear wheel be doable? Or would I have a problem with exhaust getting sucked in the passenger side window?
Were you bending u-bolts because they were grabbing against things? Do you have any photos of that, out of curiosity? I've never ran a u-bolt flip kit, but definitely wish I had done it on my BJ74 when I owned it.

You probably could turn that exhaust out in front of the rear tire, just have to be careful though because it would have to come under the frame, then out, so that would lower your ground clearance on that side. I think having the pipe tucked up or over from where it currently is, then out the back would be a more ideal option.

I don't have clearance issues with my 4+ Ubolt flip kit. And I'm running 2.5" pipe that was cloned from my stock tailpipe.

Were you bending u-bolts because they were grabbing against things? Do you have any photos of that, out of curiosity? I've never ran a u-bolt flip kit, but definitely wish I had done it on my BJ74 when I owned it.

You probably could turn that exhaust out in front of the rear tire, just have to be careful though because it would have to come under the frame, then out, so that would lower your ground clearance on that side. I think having the pipe tucked up or over from where it currently is, then out the back would be a more ideal option.

I don't have any pictures of the broken U-bolts but it was just from snagging a rock badly. Yeah I think the best option is to cut my supports on the exhaust and just hope there's enough play to move it out of the way.

What is the hat channel??? And I don't know how much the angle changed but the mount was moved up an inch or so.

The hat channel is the formed section of metal in between the axle and the spring. It is not necessary. And with non OEM springs it's bad to leave it because of the rubber pad, called an isolator, is squished too tight when the U bolts are torqued. This causes it to crack and rupture. Over time it will fall out in pieces leaving the U bolts loose. That's why it's not safe.

The spring perch on the axle has a larger diameter hole than the centering pin in the springs. The isolator fills this gap. To replace it, you need to add a steel bushing on each side. They are available from ARB, or any vendor who sells ARB. I highly recommend going to Cruiser Outfitters website and reading their FAQ's on OME suspensions. After you've read up a little, call Cruiser Outfitters and let them help you order what you need.

You could also search for 'isolator' on Mudd. I've written about this in several other threads.

Good luck.

The hat channel is the formed section of metal in between the axle and the spring. It is not necessary. And with non OEM springs it's bad to leave it because of the rubber pad, called an isolator, is squished too tight when the U bolts are torqued. This causes it to crack and rupture. Over time it will fall out in pieces leaving the U bolts loose. That's why it's not safe.

The spring perch on the axle has a larger diameter hole than the centering pin in the springs. The isolator fills this gap. To replace it, you need to add a steel bushing on each side. They are available from ARB, or any vendor who sells ARB. I highly recommend going to Cruiser Outfitters website and reading their FAQ's on OME suspensions. After you've read up a little, call Cruiser Outfitters and let them help you order what you need.

You could also search for 'isolator' on Mudd. I've written about this in several other threads.

Good luck.

Okay I will definitely get on that asap thank you for the information. All of the suspension was from the previous owner and I haven't looked to deeply into it. Thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom