TWT —-The Wrenching Thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Working on the 40 today, I flopped over the backend and landed hard on my shins...

Cheers!

this requires further explanation

this requires further explanation

My boots are old as chit (no grip)... When i was getting off the rear of the 40, my legs shot out from under me and I fell straight down... All my weight landed on my shins on the edge of the truck... A few words were said...

Kristina said it looked like I have 4 knees...

I'm good now just a couple nights of ice and whiskey... Guess who getting new work boots...

It's an impact repair kind of day. These things are awesomely simple for the power they deliver.

20191229_120507.jpg

My boots are old as chit (no grip)... When i was getting off the rear of the 40, my legs shot out from under me and I fell straight down... All my weight landed on my shins on the edge of the truck... A few words were said...

Kristina said it looked like I have 4 knees...

I'm good now just a couple nights of ice and whiskey... Guess who getting new work boots...

Ouch, glad you’re feeling better! I fell out of the back of a (parked) pick up once so I know that fall hurt....but I was trying to figure how you got the shins....burn those old boots

Cleaned up and rebuilt the Power Steering Pump on the 80...

I already had whipped off most of the grime that was built up on the pump but it was slowly leaking out..
20200105_124749.jpg

Gotta love the 3FE placement... pops right out..
20200105_145448.jpg

Cleaned up and tore down... I don't work well with snap rings but other than that, its fairly straight forward...
20200103_174323.jpg

Done.. dropped it back in the truck and ran in to catch the games... :beer:
20200103_183734.jpg

Next weekend I hope to do the Steering Box...

Future wrenching: heater cable broke. The dash gets to come out. Yay. :bang:. I'll have a beer now.

20200106_174136.jpg

Different kind of wrenching... but the house AC blower motor crapped out. Replacement is over a grand. I think I'll take my chances with some epoxy... can't break what's broken.

20200107_161919.jpg

Fixed the motor, but the motor failure zapped the drive. At least it's cheaper.

In other news, this arrived today...

15785325631765450822358270614559.jpg

Part 2 Steering Box...

After 1 can of brake clean and a wire brush... it's good enough to start tearing down...
20200110_154638.jpg

Smaller chunks...
20200110_163402.jpg

Tear down complete...
20200110_171329.jpg

Time to clean and rebuild after some :beer:
20200110_163556.jpg

Cheers...

Installed a door moulding on Dad's 80 to keep the driver's glass in it's track, and found out the window doesn't work most of the time. Pulled the switch panel and found lots of corrosion...rebuild time. You don't even need new parts! The contacts can be cleaned or relocated to make for a whole new set of switches. Gotta love little details like that...they're what makes these trucks so awesome.

Overall a :banana: job.

:beer:

20200111_120301.jpg
20200111_120310.jpg
20200111_123920.jpg
20200111_123927.jpg

Installed a door moulding on Dad's 80 to keep the driver's glass in it's track, and found out the window doesn't work most of the time. Pulled the switch panel and found lots of corrosion...rebuild time. You don't even need new parts! The contacts can be cleaned or relocated to make for a whole new set of switches. Gotta love little details like that...they're what makes these trucks so awesome.

Overall a :banana: job.

:beer:

View attachment 2179408View attachment 2179409View attachment 2179410View attachment 2179413
I gotta do this. I’m having the same issues.

I've got a reasonable list of small to moderate tasks on three vehicles and am gonna knock 'em out Saturday starting 9ish AM. It'll be a little cool out, but there's no chance of rain so come on by. This could be a decent de facto one day Shop Class for the interested (adults and kiddos alike). The list so far:
  • '96 FZJ80 Land Cruiser - Aussie/Spartan/lunchbox locker install. Pretty straightforward deal. It'll make a good opportunity for those that haven't been into a diff to see what's in there. I won't be tearing into the bearings or seals, but I can walk you through what is required for a pinion seal replacement and pinion and/or carrier bearing replacement.
  • '98 LS400 - OCV fiter replacement to resolve a couple CEL codes. I'll have the valve covers off and will pull the front cam bearing caps to get to the filters. Not a crazy difficult job, but it's an opportunity to learn a little bit about VVTi engines and their controls if you're keen.
  • '84 FJ60 Land Cruiser - Oil leak identification (hopefully). The old girl is bleeding more oil than is reasonable to accept any longer. I'll see about determining if it's the rear main or cam cup plug. I'll have the inspection plate off the bell housing which will show the working parts of the clutch.
Shoot me a message for my address if you don't have it and would like to come by.

See y'all Saturday.

-Zach

Screenshot_20200216-205053_Chrome.jpg

Yeah...uh huh, Mr. T.

Lots of press work later I have two rear shafts disassembled.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom