TWT —-The Wrenching Thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 60 developed a touch of the death wobble so it got a new outer TRE. 3rd one since I've owned the truck. I can swap these faster than I can change oil at this point.

Maybe I should drive easier...nahhhhhh.

15863940987492386702648556104662.jpg

No relay rods to confuse you in the middle of a 6 pack...

Hey peeps, I'm emerging from the shadows... Had a custom fuel line bust on my 4Runner and it's got a fitting / union from hardline to flex line right above the bellhousing. So out comes the tranny! While I'm in there... it's time to fix a leaking rear main seal, have my flywheel machined (R&R left it .006 out of true last time), and perhaps finally install the dual transfer case setup I've had sitting around for a decade.

Anyone have a transmission jack I can use for 2 weeks? I don't want to own one due to space limitations.

Time to kill the sunroof.... after dealing with the leaks and continuing to clear the drain lines, it has to go..

Guted as much as I could, motor, controller, brackets and silicone sealed the glass for water proofing..

20200411_120753.jpg

20200411_120800.jpg

20200411_120812.jpg

Hey peeps, I'm emerging from the shadows... Had a custom fuel line bust on my 4Runner and it's got a fitting / union from hardline to flex line right above the bellhousing. So out comes the tranny! While I'm in there... it's time to fix a leaking rear main seal, have my flywheel machined (R&R left it .006 out of true last time), and perhaps finally install the dual transfer case setup I've had sitting around for a decade.

Anyone have a transmission jack I can use for 2 weeks? I don't want to own one due to space limitations.
No trans jack but I have a floor jack your welcome to use. i think I’ve seen adaptors for floor jacks.

The FJ Cruiser got some love today. Oil change, windshield wipers, cleaned Captain’s muddy paw prints off the seats, and put in the new lower control arms...only cussed a little while cutting the bolts out on the passenger side...

F1C773A4-85CC-4268-92FB-180279D65B13.jpeg

The FJ Cruiser got some love today. Oil change, windshield wipers, cleaned Captain’s muddy paw prints off the seats, and put in the new lower control arms...only cussed a little while cutting the bolts out on the passenger side...
Nice work! Are those factory control arms?

Might also want to pickup a spare CV axle, I used to pop those on my tacoma...

What was wrong with the previous LCAs?

Nice work! Are those factory control arms?

Might also want to pickup a spare CV axle, I used to pop those on my tacoma...

Aftermarket with greaseable bushings, and yup, I have a spare CV I drag around with me...learned my lesson at GSMTR a couple years ago!

What was wrong with the previous LCAs?

bushings were worn out and cam bolts wouldn’t turn on passenger side so couldn’t be brought into proper alignment. The cost and time to press out and replace the old bushings and ball joint add up to the point where most people just replace the whole arm when it’s time. Should be good for another 120,000 miles I hope.

This may be another good candidate for a club owned tool...I borrowed one from someone when I did the transmission on the 60 and it was pretty helpful

Made a bracket to install a rotopax fuel can this weekend. My brother gave the rotopax to me over a year ago, so glad to finally get this thing into use

3295BE05-AB1E-4022-9C9A-435CFB30BB59.jpeg

Changed the 02 sensor on the 62 and applied caulk around the filler neck to seal up fumes leaking in the cabin. Got tired of smelling like gas after a drive.

0CDA7879-B31D-4332-8E77-4E76E536F327.jpeg

80E52779-8333-48C8-B3FA-E44A1BE50304.jpeg

Stuff is happening. This one may go to a build thread as well.
20200429_164638.jpg

Last edited:
Dealer wants north of $200 for the fuel level sending unit. Nah. Gonna try to fix this block of rust first. As usual, the part is serviceable. Little box pops off the back and wham-o...the guts are open.

1st soak in lime juice freed it up and knocked off the big chunks of rust (no photo). Gave it a scrub and gonna leave it overnight in 50/50 lemon juice and water. We'll see how it works tomorrow.

20200507_213547.jpg

Dealer wants north of $200 for the fuel level sending unit. Nah. Gonna try to fix this block of rust first. As usual, the part is serviceable. Little box pops off the back and wham-o...the guts are open.

1st soak in lime juice freed it up and knocked off the big chunks of rust (no photo). Gave it a scrub and gonna leave it overnight in 50/50 lemon juice and water. We'll see how it works tomorrow.

View attachment 2299195
I have a 62 fuel level sending unit I was supposed to give Rory. Actually forgot about it until now. Not sure if it the same but if Rory doesn’t need it it’s yours

Much appreciated. This thing cleaned up NICELY. We'll see where the resistance values line up to spec, but it varies through the sweep so I can fake it in with another resistor if needed for correct gage range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom